AVIC411.com

Installation Pictures, Porsche 997 (911)

ok fun aside, what is the proper pic size ????

I can answer for this one ,800x480

Yeah, that is the actual pixel size of the screen, but that isn't the size for the splash screen. I tried that, and it made the image small, and centered on the screen with black bars around both the top and bottom. Unless there is some sort of strectch mode that I don't know about, that definitely didn't work for me--not to say, again, that it won't work if there is some setting to make it work. But out of the box, not so much.

The max size reported in the owner's manual is: 2592 x 1944 (which gives you a fully filled screen)

The pixel size of the screen is 800 x 480 which is a 1 2/3 : 1 ratio. So, 1944 * 1 2/3 = 3240, and I'm pretty sure that was the correct size I ended up with: 3240 x 1944.

Like I said, I'll double check it tonight, and I'll post the Porsche splash screen which is almost a dead-on duplicate of the factory PCM splash screen, only slightly better :D in my opinion.

-B-

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
What bezel is that? The one from euromotorspeed.com?

No, I bought the one from them, but ended up sending it back. The color is not a perfect match from Euro, and I did not like the fact that the unit was not centered vertically in their bezel (the bezel is larger above the HU than below it substantially).

I purchased the bezel from Nexxia Audio Solutions in the UK, and had is shipped over here. Their cost, for bezel and shipping was about $75, and you can get the antenna adapter from Crutchfield for $20.

Here's a link:

http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Car_Stereo_fitt ... orsche.htm

Thanks,

-B-

No, I bought the one from them, but ended up sending it back. The color is not a perfect match from Euro, and I did not like the fact that the unit was not centered vertically in their bezel (the bezel is larger above the HU than below it substantially).

I purchased the bezel from Nexxia Audio Solutions in the UK, and had is shipped over here. Their cost, for bezel and shipping was about $75, and you can get the antenna adapter from Crutchfield for $20.

Here's a link:

http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Car_Stereo_fitt ... orsche.htm

Thanks,

-B-

Wow, that's a really good price. The fit and color of that thing looks close to perfect in that picture as well. I well definitely go for that kit.

Well, I don't know what color the 996 is, fascia-wise. If it is black, then it will probably be fine.

All I can say, is that the OE Porsche finish (Volcano Grey) in the 997 is most definitely NOT a PERFECT match to the EuroMotorSpeed unit. It looks great in the pictures, but I can assure you, having purchased one, it is NOT close to the pictures. It is in fact, several shades off. It was just not good enough for me, and certainly not good enough to put in my car...but I'm very picky.

Having purchased it, I was about to scrap the whole project until I found the other unit, and bought it with the hopes it would match. I was pleasantly surprised to see it was a dead-on match. Otherwise, I probably just wouldn't have changed, because to me having the fascia surround be as near perfect as possible, to leave a professional factory look, was paramount.

Now, of course, Porsche has released an OEM part in all black for the 2009 and beyond 997.2(s). Which is pretty damn sweet, but unfortunately, it is only available in black. The sizing is identical to the 997.1 cars, and it sux that they didn't release the part in Volcano Grey.

I had briefly considered buying that, and changing out everything in the center-stack to all black...but that was going to be very expensive, and the UK fascia ended up being a perfect match.

FWIW, I'm getting the EuroMotorspeed for installing this in my 996. Apparently they used to do the bezels in "piano black" :roll: but now they've seen the light and are matching the plastic finish to the OE Porsche finish. I'll certainly post pics when I get it.

Yes, I did have the BOSE (blows) system. And everything I used will work in your Cayman. Check out the link to the article I posted earlier.

There is also an article on there that deals with the Cayman wiring, exactly and how to access everything you need. In respect to the reverse & illumination wires, it is easier to access those in the 987 than the 997. The subwoofer is in a different place too, but pretty much everything else is the same.

And, ignore what anyone on the Porsche boards may say, because you CAN use the BOSE speakers, and strip out the BOSE amp & Porsche HU (PCM or Becker) and put in an aftermarket unit with an aftermarket amplifier. I went as far as pulling out my BOSE subwoofer as well, and replacing that, but the other BOSE speakers sounded great, and I doubt I'll ever change those out unless they were to quit working.

As long as you've got the time, and patience, I'd highly recommend changing it out. It is a PITA while your pulling some of the wires, but not any worse / better than any other car really. In some ways it is easier, since your not dealing with a front engine, and the whole car is pretty small so it's easy to get to everything.

Good luck!

That looks great, and I would love to do this in my 987. Did you have the Bose sound system by any chance? That is the big fly in the ointment for me,as the Bose system uses a MOST system bus thingy.
The fit, and color, are absolutely perfect. Be warned though, that installing the double din cage will take a bit more work than the EuroMotorspeed deal. I wrote about it, in detail here:

http://www.planetporsche.net/997-electr ... 997-a.html

Have fun!

-B-

That installation does sound a bit icky.

If you look at the kit on the manufacturers homepage it does looks like there's some hardware included for mounting the cage. Didn't you get those parts or were they just not good enough?

http://www.connects2.co.uk/c2prodpic.as ... 23PO03.jpg