AVIC411.com

Cheap cables heads up

Good luck with those cables. If they work, please let us know. I tried using a chinese knock off cable as well and it didn't work. It wasn't until after did I find out the cable needs to sync (not just charge) to be able to work with these decks, which the one I purchased didn't. Some of the other ebay cables seem to indicate they sync, but I wasn't really willing to wait weeks for its arrival to try.

Just thought I'd share what I found out last week. You don't need to buy that stupid expensive cable to connect your iPod.

Note that this only works if you don't care about video from the iPod. Its audio only. But its super cheap and you can probably get it working today.

All you need is the USB cable that comes with the iPod and a 3.5mm to RCA male-to-male cable. Connect the iPod to the AVIC's usb cable, plug the other cable into the iPod's headphone jack and connect it to the AV1 inputs and you are done. Oh, and you'll probably have to turn the iPod volume up to max before connecting the USB cable.

If you happen to have a 3.5mm to RCA male-to-male cable lying around (as I did) this is free. If not, I'd bet many dollar stores have them. If you can't find one locally you can always rely on monoprice.com ($0.63!)

http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2

As a last resort most electronics stores (BestBuy, etc) probably have them, but you'll pay too much.

I'm doing this with an 8GB 3rd gen iPod nano. I have no reason to believe it wouldn't work with any other supported iPod, up to and including the iPod Touch/iPhone.