AVIC411.com

Anyone using the HD Radio tuner (GEX-P20HD) with an X910BT?

I got my GEX-P20HD HD Radio tuner in the mail today, hooked it up to the AVIC-X910BT, and it doesn't work right. :(

When it's connected, it does light up the HD Radio icon on the A/V source select screen, and I can go into the UI for it, but most of the buttons do nothing. I can switch between Presets and Details view and navigate around to a couple of the settings screens, but there's no audio and I can't change the tuning, band, or actually do anything with any of the settings.

Has anyone else tried this combo yet?

Okay, just tore the dash apart again and tried switching the cable around. It seems to make no difference which way the cable goes -- I plugged the blue end into the head unit and tried the black end in both of the plugs on the GEX. Same result either way.

Any other thoughts? I've got the GEX unit pulled out of the car now, since it's not doing me any good there. I'm tempted to try and take it to a local car stereo retailer and see if I can talk them into plugging it into one of their head units just to see if it works at all. :(

Mine does exactly the samething with my z110BT unit ,sometimes I was able to get it work when I unplug the power cable and hook it up again on the HD tuner ,then restart the headunit ,but it would stop working again after another restart ,I am sending the unit back to Pioneer and have them look at it.

I had the same problem, and as the earlier posters suggested, double check which jack you are using on the GEX-P20HD. Your cable has a blue and black end. The blue end goes into the blue plug on the Pioneer head end. The black and goes into the black plug on the GEX-P20HD. I had mine plugged into the blue plug on the HD module and I was getting a display of local station info, but no sound. (I could have sworn I hooked it up the way the directions told me to.) Anyhow, switching to the Black plug on the HD module fixed the problem. (And by the way, my HD reception has been great so far.)

• 2 weeks later...

I just installed my X910BT and GEX-P20HD and have no problems picking up stations (man does it sound better! Takes a while to scan for stations though..). I used the correct black/blue connections on the headunit and HD tuner, but I actually had the cable backward the first time, so I think the coloring of the cable is just to make sure you use the right connectors ... I reversed the cable so blue matches blue and it works exactly the same.

FWIW, my X910BT just came in and has the latest firmware I've spotted on this site as of end of August 09 (3.0.1 or somesuch)... may or may not be relevant.

I do have one problem though... Everything looks and works great except preset information ... I can store and retrieve presets just fine, but the presets get no station ID labels like they do for AM/FM...

Anyone experienced this issue?

Cheers,

Brce

• 4 months later...

This is the message I got from pioneer about the presets and radio reception...

Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics, Inc.

You should connect the antenna to the GEX-P20HD, if AM reception still week, you should get an antenna signal booster. Unfortunately for the presets, there are no updates or plans for an update.

Thank You,

Pablo

Customer Service Representative

No update coming it seems...should have gone with the Alpine or Kenwood I guess!

shaun

Finally got my avic-x910bt and hd tuner all hooked up and working tonight. Took me a while to figure out you can't listen to am by selecting am on the source screen. You need to select hd radio ( makes sense since thats where the antenna's at now) and then change the band to am on the hd tuner. Haven't tried playing with the presets but I imagine I'll have the same results everyone else seems to be having.

• 1 year later...

This is the message I got from pioneer about the presets and radio reception...

Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics, Inc.

You should connect the antenna to the GEX-P20HD, if AM reception still week, you should get an antenna signal booster. Unfortunately for the presets, there are no updates or plans for an update.

Thank You,

Pablo

Customer Service Representative

No update coming it seems...should have gone with the Alpine or Kenwood I guess!

shaun

Thanks for the post. I also have the X910BT with the P20HD add-on installed in a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. I didn't see your post until after I received the same response from Pioneer. Car Toy's in the Seattle area installed my unit(s) and it turns out they were aware of the presets loss with the HD but didn't bother to share that little nugget of information. I also had a lot of problems with the radio reception and had to take it back in three times. The first time I was told that was just the way it was. The second time they told me the antenna wire was loose. The third time they fixed it by replacing the antenna lead and plugging the antenna directly into the factory antenna jack (previously spliced) below the antenna and accessible from the inside of the vehicle. They also mounted/grounded the HD unit directly to metal instead of using Velcro. The AM, FM, and HD are all now crystal clear. Just in case you haven't run into it yet, the X910BT Bluetooth does not work properly with the HTC HD2 phone unless you disable the data connection on the phone. I'm not sure whether it is the X910BT or the phone - so far Pioneer and HTC are just finger pointing. Another undocumented feature with the X910BT is that it always jumps to the map screen after making or receiving a call. This happens regardless of which screen you were on (iPod, HD, etc.) before the call. By the way, I also replaced all of the factory speakers with Focal 165A1/165AC1's and added on an Alpine PDX5 amp and a JL Audio 10" sub-woofer. Good factory sound turned into an outstanding audio experience.