AVIC411.com

Reception issues with HD radio and FM

Negative! MSN direct is built into the unit. It uses the existing FM antenna. No splitter is required.

You're right I don't think I was clear.

If using an HD unit, the antenna must be connected to it. In order to use MSN DIrect, an antenna must also be connected to the Head Unit, therefore the need for the splitter.

Yes, that is correct, there is no splitter required for MSN. HD is another story. I dont have HD radio so I have no experience but I have read that FM is disabled if using HD radio. So I guess a splitter would still do nothing for you.

Negative! MSN direct is built into the unit. It uses the existing FM antenna. No splitter is required.

How come on the Pioneer website says it's required to buy the MSN Direct tuner? Did I just waste 100 bucks?

EDIT: You're right! I just got off the phone with Pioneer Support and they confirmed that MSN Direct is integrated. I wonder why the website says it's optional and even on the product page it tells you need the additional tuner.

The support person you spoke with confused you, or was confused themselves. Some Pioneer navs have MSN built-in. The Z110 is not one of those models and you must buy the add-on MSN tuner. No way around it

Thanks for clarifying and I have thereafter confirmed your statement as THE TRUTH!!!

How come on the Pioneer website says it's required to buy the MSN Direct tuner? Did I just waste 100 bucks?

Also if you go back to this original comment on the first page I was referring to a comment someone made about MSN direct with the X series. I was not referring to the Z series. I apologize if this caused confusion as this is a Z series thread.

ok back to the topic at hand

I know now that when the HD radio is connected, I lose my FM/AM

however, I now have another problem as I cannot get HD stations to tune in very well.

They either have a LOT of static or some static and not the HD clarity I know is possible.

I live in Florida and there are no hills and very little interference. My market has 31 channels

and they all seem to exhibit the same problems

I noticed in the display it says "analog" shouldnt it be digital?

thanks

I am not all that familiar with your car, but is it possible your car has a powered antenna, but it is not being triggered to actually power up? I have seen situations in the past where cars have a sort of powered antenna booster that required a trigger (usually from the remote turn-on wire of the stereo) to turn on. If it doesn't get that trigger, its passive and reception is bad. Just an idea

Anyone on these radio reception issues? Defective unit? Powered antenna (thought I had one already)