AVIC411.com

well I give up. taking it all out to sell

I have played with this for a week and simply cannot get this unit to sound good. I guess this is one of those situations where the car was designed with bose in mind and tuned for it as well.

I know you are all going to tell me I am crazy but I am going back to the OEM nav.

Will be placing a classified for the Z110, sirius tuner, msn direct, HD radio unit and ipod connector.

UGH

You have me intrigued... I have been waiting patiently to see this Z110BT in action for a couple weeks now. My installer said he has one and is waiting for a part so he can install it in his board. It will be right next to the Kenwood 9140 so I will be able to compare directly the two. From what I have seen and think I will be wanting one of these things big time and soon. I currently have a Kenwood DDX814 which is brand new basically so I am going to be in your shoes there too. grr. Wish this damned thing had come out about 1-2 months earlier. It would be in my dash right now. Anyway, keep me in mind if you do intend to sell yours. Drop me a PM if you wanna chat further. I am looking forward to seeing how this deck does head to head with a 9140 with the identical speaker/amp setup. I already like the Ipod interface over the Kenwood and I am looking forward to seeing the voice activation in action (I hope he can demo this part...). Anyway, good luck and sorry to hear you didn't like the Z110BT in your vehicle.

I have played with this for a week and simply cannot get this unit to sound good. I guess this is one of those situations where the car was designed with bose in mind and tuned for it as well.

I know you are all going to tell me I am crazy but I am going back to the OEM nav.

Will be placing a classified for the Z110, sirius tuner, msn direct, HD radio unit and ipod connector.

UGH

yes you are crazy. what else have you done to the system? have you replaced any of the crappy bose pieces?

and if you do want to sell, how much?

Hey James whats up? You beat me too the punch. I was actually going to PM you over at kenwoodforums to let you know that aleicgrant was going to sell his sense I knew you were in the market for one soon. I really think you will like the unit when you demo it. Anyway good luck with your endeavors and welcome to Avic411.

Thanks for thinking of me VBlue :D I have known about this site for a long time actually but only recently signed on. This was the first time I truly wanted to make a post here. I watch and read alot here tho. I agree on the OEM nav - those things are ridiculously overpriced. My dealer quoted my like $3k just for the unit and more to install. Crazy. Good luck man.

The OEM nav for my car can be purchased new for $1300

Of course the one I want (2010 which has been updated) is in very short supply so the dealers are trying to rape ($3700) before they become mainstream.

I am still mulling this. My install guy is coming back Friday to fiddle and see what he can do.

I think its going to take removing the stock speakers and investing in amps and new speakers. Something I am just not sure I want to do

Actually I had the same problem with my factory Infinity system after I installed a high-end Eclipse deck back in the late '90s in my 3000GT. The Eclipse deck never sounded as good as the factory system, I guess because of the way the factory deck powered each line or something, I'm not exactly sure. I eventually removed the stock speakers and added a separate amp to power some Focals and it sounded excellent after that, but just replacing the deck itself was in fact a downgrade in overall sound from the system.

UGH

What kind of car do you have ???? if you have a bose - you most likely need some sort of lower voltage converter to integrate into your car. I've done 1000's of installes with factory bose and all kinds of factory systems and never had a problem.... hate to be rude, but " you've played with it for a week and can't get it to sound good " just seems like you haven't done any research on your car and your installer doesn't keep up with adaptors on the market for factory OEM conversions.

Give us some more details on the year / model / what type of stock radio you replaced (what was it / what did it have) and i'm sure I'll figure out an option for you !!!!!

ok well first things first. My installer has been doing this for 10 years so I feel pretty good about his skills and he is pretty methodical in his thinking.

Second, the problem lies in that my car is a new model for this year (2009 Audi TTS) and I dont think the specs have been updated.

Third, my car came with factory navigation and a system called bose Audipilot.

forth, the Audi uses a canbus DIGITAL turn on for the amp and thus no longer a 12v switch.

the bose amp is even stamped TT CB which means that its sending a signal saying "im on" or "im off" so there is no constant there to tap into.

So to get around this, we have used the existing wiring to bypass the bose amp and have it hooked directly into the Pioneer.

Incidentally, we are using a harness by a company called connects2 that interfaces with the quadlock. Problem is they are only up to 2008 and have not updated their programming for this because this type of model has not been available to them.

This system has 13 speakers and I dont feel like the head unit has enough to drive them all hence the poor sound.

I have possibly found an adapter from a company in Germany Called Dietz (dietz 17500 http://www.dietz2.biz/dokumente%5C17005_D-E.pdf) which looks like it might to the trick but the language barrier has been brutal and I cant find a way to order it yet as they are unwilling to ship to the states

so if you have some thoughts, suggestions, questions etc etc I would be very greatful for your assistance

I have the 09 version which is definitely nice. Now if it was the MY 2010 that would be a different story all together.

However, after some time the Pioneer does offer a lot of things that oem cant. If I could overcome this bloody bose issue I would be happy.

I have zero interest in changing out all the other speakers and adding new amps