AVIC411.com

3.0 Radio issue

Hi guys. I tried searching but came up short. I recently updated to 3.0. My steering controls seek to the next fm station when I push up or down instead of taking me to my next pre-set. Could anybody help? Also, i want to make sure that no street names coming up in 3d mode is easily fixable via a file which is surfing around on the forums? ( I know the file just can't remember the name so I'm just making sure my problem is related to it).

I use a Sony Stalk RMX4-S. With firmware 3.0 the ability to go up and down through radio presets has been added but not in the way most people wanted.

Rather than making the normal up/down command in the radio mode go through the presets, that still scans up/down though the frequencies. To go up/down presets on the Sony Stalk you need to use the "shift" up/down commands (ie press the shift ring in while activiting up/down). In MP3/CD mode this "shift" up/down command goes up/down through the folders rather than next/previous track. This is a real shame as I think most people want the same button that goes to next track in MP3 mode to go to next preset in radio mode. Even if you change the functionality by programming a PAC or whatever, you cannot get the same up/down button to do both, thanks to Pioneer thinking that people want to re-tune the radio more often that flicking though existing presets. Unless someone can work out how to hack the internal handling of the command inputs, we seem to be stuck with it.

Which command is that on the PAC SWI-PS? Commands 7 and 8 (Preset Up/Disc Up and Preset Up/Disc Down) do nothing with my F700. So, I use 4 and 5 (Track Up/Seek Up and Track Up/Seek Down) instead. But, I would gladly give up track skip for preset control

I use XM and HD radio far more than CD/iPod. Plus, the songs on my CD's and iPod are all songs I like. XM and HD Radio often play songs I don't. So, I need to change radio presets far more often than tracks.

Which command is that on the PAC SWI-PS? Commands 7 and 8 (Preset Up/Disc Up and Preset Up/Disc Down) do nothing with my F700. So, I use 4 and 5 (Track Up/Seek Up and Track Up/Seek Down) instead. But, I would gladly give up track skip for preset control

I use XM and HD radio far more than CD/iPod. Plus, the songs on my CD's and iPod are all songs I like. XM and HD Radio often play songs I don't. So, I need to change radio presets far more often than tracks.

I would guess that the Shift up/down on the Sony stalk are commands 7 & 8 on the PAC. These would have done nothing up until firmware 3.

Correct me if I'm wrong. You already programmed those buttons as Preset Up/Down when you first installed the unit (or they came preprogrammed as such). But, up until the 3.0 software update they did nothing. However, they are working now after the update? Is that correct? Or, perhaps I'm misunderstanding. I'm not familiar with the "Sony Stalk" you are talking about.

If so, I am going to remove my unit and reprogram my SWI-PS so my steering wheel up/down buttons control presets instead of track/seek. Unfortunately, my car only has one set of up/down buttons, which I originally programmed for presets. But, because that function didn't work, I reprogrammed to track/seek. I'm looking forward to preset functionality again!

Woohoo!

Correct me if I'm wrong. You already programmed those buttons as Preset Up/Down when you first installed the unit (or they came preprogrammed as such). But, up until the 3.0 software update they did nothing. However, they are working now after the update? Is that correct? Or, perhaps I'm misunderstanding. I'm not familiar with the "Sony Stalk" you are talking about.

If so, I am going to remove my unit and reprogram my SWI-PS so my steering wheel up/down buttons control presets instead of track/seek. Unfortunately, my car only has one set of up/down buttons, which I originally programmed for presets. But, because that function didn't work, I reprogrammed to track/seek. I'm looking forward to preset functionality again!

Woohoo!

The Sony Stalk is not programmable it is just a wired remote stalk that works with any Sony/Pioneer headunit with the 3.5mm socket. It has 2 up/down commands, normal and "shifted" where you press the up/down ring as you turn it (not a great explanation you need to have seen one really to know what I mean, but doesn't really matter).

These are the responses of the AVIC units to the wired remote control inputs

AVIC responses to remote commands for pre-firmware 3

Sony Stalk Command........MP3 mode command... Radio mode command

Normal up/down............Next/Prev Track.........Scan up/down

Shift up/down...............Nothing...................Nothing

AVIC responses to remote commands for firmware 3

Sony Stalk Command........MP3 mode command... Radio mode command

Normal up/down............Next/Prev Track.........Scan up/down

Shift up/down...............Next/Prev folder.........Next/Prev Preset

If you have firmware 3 you should be able to re-program your PAC to give up/down presets, BUT (and this is the problem) in MP3 mode the programmed button will then give up/down folder rather than up/down track. Unless you have enough buttons to have 2 distinct up/down commands you are alway going to have to choose between the remote working sensibly in radio mode or MP3 mode but not both, thanks to Pioneer's superb firmware skills!

I have no problem giving up the track/seek functionality in iPod/CD modes in exchange for preset up/down in radio modes. I listen to iPod and CD on occasion. But, my main listening is XM/HD radio by a vast margin.

From your description, it certainly sounds like remote preset functionality has finally been included in the F-Series with the 3.xx update. About f-ing time!