AVIC411.com

XM NavTraffic not that good in Phoenix

I have had it for about a week now and I am very disappointed in this service. It almost always show the 101 freeway with a green line when I can clearly see that traffic has stopped on the freeway. I don't think the technology is the problem. I think the problem is that humans are not updating the system often enough. You would think that they would refresh every 5 minutes or so during rush hour.

Today was really tough on me as there must have been an accident on the freeway because all 3 lanes came to a stop. My NavTraffic gave me no warning what so ever. I was lucky enough to see the backup in time and got off the freeway.

I really want this service but I don't think they have it figured out yet. I'll give it a few more weeks. If I don't see an improvement then I will have to cancel.

I really want this service but I don't think they have it figured out yet.
I think XM has it figured out. Just blame your local D.O.T. or other reporting agency for not updating their databases fast enough :) If you look at XM's site, NavTraffic relies on data transmitted electronically to it by various local government and other reporting agencies.

I just went out to XM's website, looks like you are right. They depend on many services for information. I also found another factor that could impact information. I took it from this link http://www.xmradio.com/navtraffic/faq.xmc.

Why does my navigation system not display all of the traffic data as shown available on the market coverage maps?

To display the XM NavTraffic service, a navigation system requires a map database from NAVTEQ or TeleAtlas/GDT. Specific coding relating to the display of the traffic data is contained in the map database and is updated with the release of new map database updates. Therefore, if your map database is out of date, you may not be able to see all of the available traffic data available as part of the XM NavTraffic service. Contact your car dealer for information on map database upgrades or for aftermarket systems, contact NAVTEQ or TeleAtlas/GDT directly.

The current Z1 map is from 2004!