AVIC411.com

Directional issue with my F90BT in my F150

I have two pioneer navigation systems in my two cars. Two years ago I first put the Avic-D3 in my wifes car and it works great. It is so accurate that it always indicates which way the car is facing. I could drive the car in tight circles and the the vehicle icon on the screen would indicate this. Then last Year I bought and installed the Avic-F90BT in my 2006 F150 truck but this system has never been as accurate. It never knows which direction the vehicle is facing unless I am actually moving down the road. I could actually pull out of my driveway and get 50 ft down the road before the system knows which way the truck is headed. Is this just an inherent flaw with the F90BT?

I had this problem too with my F90BT ver2.0, check your VSS wire...make sure you are tapped into the correct vehicle wire. You can go to a Ford dealer and have them make a copy of the schematic of the dash area. This is the wire that connects to the speedo from the transmission, it may also go to a cruise control servo. This signal is suppose to pulse, changing frequency as the vehicle moves faster. You could verify this with a scope meter. This wire has nothing to do with the lockout of features in the F90BT.

One indication that that wire is not hooked up properly, is the vehicle arrow on the map will jump back and forth 1/4 to 1/2 inch quickly, two or three times every 10 seconds or so, depending on the road. Without the wire I have noticed that the arrow will sometimes spin a revolution when first starting off from a stop.