AVIC411.com

USA Rest Area POIs Available Here

I was searching the web trying to get a list of all the Rest Areas in the USA, and once I found the list, was debating how to get them onto the Avic F900. After playing with AvicFeeds, I decided it was best to add them to the Custom POI file.

After playing around a bit, I decided to create an Excel file that generates the Custom POIs to be added to the POI file in the unit.

Here is the Excel file, with Instructions on the first tab of the file and the data in the second tab. The zip file also has the bitmap used in the below pictures. (Instructions for adding the icon are here: http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=17731&p=117463&hilit=+feeds#p117463)

The pictures show the results of a custom search (Saved Criteria) on the Rest Areas along my route (sorry for poor quality). Thanks to Stephanie, BorisM and others, for posting information on the POIs and Icons.

POIMenu.jpg

POIList.jpg

Hopefully useful!

AvicRestAreas.zip

I just tried it myself, worked like a charm! I had to create a POI first, then did as you describe.

I also just created my first POI category "Junkyards". No I might do the custom ICON that you mention, but obviously, fairly complicated for minimal gain.

Also, what was the source of this information? How up to date is it, and can I keep it up to date? I know in the north east with all the construction, frequently they are moved/removed/closed.

I just tried it myself, worked like a charm! I had to create a POI first, then did as you describe.

I also just created my first POI category "Junkyards". No I might do the custom ICON that you mention, but obviously, fairly complicated for minimal gain.

Also, what was the source of this information? How up to date is it, and can I keep it up to date? I know in the north east with all the construction, frequently they are moved/removed/closed.

Glad it worked for you! The source of the information was from poi-factory.com (search on "rest area", there is a rest area combined file. I started with that file, but tweaked it quite a bit for the Avic. Basically I put it into excel and edited a bunch of the lines to standardize the format and output. The results of the standardized output is what is in the Excel file.

According to the poi-factory site, it is up to date as of 8/18/2009, but I am not sure if that means there were just additions of new locations or a few corrections. Basically, it seems this info is contributed by poi-factory members, and not an official government list of rest areas, so with no one driving to all of them, it will be difficult to verify. It was on the mark for my road trip.

Keeping it up to date isn't as simple as downloading the file from the site, since I tweaked it quite a bit. I will be looking every now and then for updates, and will post changes as I see them, but I will admit I won't be actively looking until my next road trip. If you see an update, get in touch with me and I can do the tweaks (I have it automated in Excel) , and post the file.

However, you can add new Rest Areas right in the Avic (without all the extra info, just the location), then download the file, make the changes in notepad to add the info you would like to add, and upload it to the Avic again.

Hope that helps!

I created a custom search under the POI icon. On the bottom right you can "Register Search Criteria". Follow the prompts (select "Along Route") and save. Then go back to POI icon and choose "Saved Criteria", and the new search you just saved.

That will then show you the items along the rote. Unless I am misunderstanding your comment.

I created a custom search under the POI icon. On the bottom right you can "Register Search Criteria". Follow the prompts (select "Along Route") and save. Then go back to POI icon and choose "Saved Criteria", and the new search you just saved.

That will then show you the items along the rote. Unless I am misunderstanding your comment.

Ah, I think I remember seeing that somewhere, I think that is it exactly. I REALLY need to read the basics more...

My list has "#" in front of the word reststop. Any way to remove that with out going through each one?

I assume this would work.

In the excel document on the Data tab, hit (Find) and choose replace. then put in the "#Rest Areas" and replace with "Rest Areas". Then hit replace all.

That did it! Thanks for your help.

Bryan

I tried that today, and I am pretty sure I did it right. It did not show any along my route, but then again, there really weren't any. I'll play with it and see next time I am on an interstate.

And as for the # I assumed that is what it was for, I typically use the underscore "_".