AVIC411.com

SD Cards post 3.0 update

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, something's definitely hosed in the SD area with the 3.0 update.

I put a bunch of videos on an SDHC card (class 6... fast enough to record full HD video) over the summer, for viewing on vacation in the event of rain. They were done in 640x360 widesceen AVC MPEG-4, and they played well enough, but the player was apparently ignorant of the aspect ratio settings in MP4 files. So it just stretched the video horizontally to full screen, rather than scaling it properly. Pretty bad.

So, after updating to 3.0 a few days ago, I decided to play a little... I had the F500 on my desk, a PC with terabytes of video next to it. I wanted to find out what to do about getting full screen video. I rendered an 800x600 video, a few 640x480 videos animorphic-DVD style (looks like 4:3 but it's suppose to scale to 16:9), some DivX AVIs, WMAs, MPEG-2s, etc.

MP4, WMA, and DivX all played... sorta. 800x480 was jerky, so I figured maybe the unit just couldn't handle that in AVC (I didn't make any other tests at that rez). The MPEG-2 did not (the F500 seemed angry about those even being there). But the lower rez stuff played horribly, much like the 800x480... I found the 640x480 got scaled to full screen, regardless of the aspect ratio settings in the file, but it jumps... like the player can't talk to SD fast enough, and every so often has to play catch up. The DivX file was crazier still... it flashed on and off, like it was under a strobe light or something.

They have absolutely done something in 3.0 to screw up SDHC speeds. I'm 100% certain about this, and I'm kind of an expert on video, hardware design, and embedded systems. This did work acceptably in 2.x, so presumably, they can fix this in the upcoming patch. Assuming they'll do an upcoming patch...

my screen used to freeze up and everything. I have a 8 gid sd card with music on it. Some posted that instead of placing all the files on a sd card, put the mp3's in to several folders then onto a sd card. I have not had any issues since doing that.

This workaround for music seems to be working well so far.