AVIC411.com

Anyone have directions on reinstalling 3.0 update? <SOLVED>

Hi everyone -

I've done some searching, but was unable to find some instructions on reloading the 3.0 update. Does anyone have a write-up or know a post they can link me to?

My problem: I have an F90BT, and recently did the 3.0 update. Of course, all heck broke loose once I did. The MSN Direct update failed, so I had to re-do that (my method, taken from another post here, is below). I also had the problem where it was jumping into rear camera view right away, even though I don't have a camera installed. I could tell this because at the top of the screen was the message that "Warning: Image may appear reversed" and the rest of the screen was blank. I fixed that as well (my method is below).

Even with that, I continue to have the same problem. Once I boot up the unit, response time is pretty laggy, it periodically freezes, and more importantly, the unit rarely will let me into the Settings screen. Occasionally, if I start accessing the Settings menu while the system is booting up (system boot up warning dialog box visible) it will let me in for a bit, but eventually freezes. This was especially a pain since I had to get into that menu to disable the rear camera (see above comments, below guide) so it took me several tries, of rushing through the menus to get to the settings screen to turn off the camera setting before the unit froze on me.

One weird symptom I see is that if I am able to enter the Settings screen, I can sometimes select a sub menu, but at some point it will lock up on me. Once it does, I can frequently hit the Menu screen and get back to the top menu. Once there, if I hit the Settings button (lower right corner), it will light up indicating the unit registered the selection, but nothing will happen for a while until the button "de-lights" and I get a beep from the system (but won't enter the Setup screen). I can repeat this as much as I want (hit Settings, it lights up, it de-lights, then system beep) several times over.

Someone suggested I try reinstalling the update. I'm willing to try, but not sure of the easiest way to force the unit to update. Do I have to reinstall the 2.0 update, then reinstall the 3.0 update? Or is there an easier way to force re installation of the 3.0 update? I'm not certain I know the location of my 2.0 update SD, so if I can avoid that route, I'd prefer it. Or even better, if anyone knows what the heck is going on with my unit, that would help.

I have a testmode SD, and am comfortable working in the WinCE environment (I don't like it but can do it).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!!!

PS: My unit has the parking brake hardwired bypass. I also installed one of the mods (IDT 3.0 ver 4.3) hoping it contained the software bypass and might help. Well, I'm not sure if it has the software bypass, but it didn't help.

MSN Direct update/fix update failure:

1) Turn off unit

2) put in SD Card #2 from the 3.0 update.

3) Turn unit back on (normal mode, not testmode)

4) Once menu comes up, navigate to Destination sub-menu, select MSN Direct in lower right hand corner

5) In MSN screen, hit "Status" button in lower right corner

6) You should see the message that the unit is contacting MSN, and then it should start re-loading the update

7) Once update is complete, restart unit

8) Enjoy the velvety MSN Direct goodness....(ok, maybe not so velvety)

Rear Camera showing on launch even though not installed fix:

1) Turn on unit (normal, no test mode)

2) Start hitting menu button (physical button at left of screen, not a screen button) right away

3) Just keep hitting it while the system boots up and eventually it seems to register and you can get into the main menu. This may not work on the first try, and you may need to reboot the unit.

4) Select Settings

5) In Settings menu, select System Settings Icon and go to that screen

6) In System Settings Screen, select Rear camera

8) Turn rear camera off

I am having some of the same issues... except mine is not locking up. Whenever I reset my unit's settings it re-enables the backup camera. My unit came with the 2.0 software, I then did some of the hacks and then ordered the 3.0 update, but I got sick of waiting and ended up installing on of the hacked 3.0 versions, which worked fine. I then used the retail 3.0 update from pioneer, which also seemed to have worked but for some reason I didn't have to register to get my password. So, I am wanting to do a full rebuild or downgrade back to the original 2.0 and then update straight to the retial 3.0. I am hoping to fix my IPod issue where I it connected fine about 3 times, but now doesn't show up...

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally had some time this weekend to take yet another swing at fixing this. Since the SDs would no longer auto update when inserted, and I didn't have a copy of the old 2.0 handy, I did the following:

1) boot into testmode using an SD card with the testmode files (search this board, there's instructions on making a 3.0 testmode).

2) Remove the SD card with the testmode files

3) Insert the SD card #2 you received with your update pack

4) Open Windows Total Commander in WinCE

5) Copy the APL2 directory from the SD Card #2 onto the same location as the APL2 file is currently on the flashdrive - when asked, choose overwrite all existing files in the APL2 directory on the flashdrive. This resets the unit back to 3.0 update, if you have a different mod you're using, you'll need to reinstall it.

6) Profit. (or in my case, just getting the unit to work....)

I noticed one of the files that was recopied was the ezrider exe file - I have seen that mentioned in several threads as a file that gets corrupted and also screws things up. So maybe that was my problem.

Unit seems to behave normally now.

Good luck!

Mike