AVIC411.com

New to Avic X710BT and have steering wheel control question

Hi I am a new X710 owner and new to site. Please bear with me if this is a dumb question. I had my 710 installed by a local stereo shop. I wanted them to hook up my steering wheel controls (2000 Grand Prix) to the 710 but the part didn't come in time so I have to go back to get that done. I have read that the parkbrake hack from the F series will work on the X series. I grounded the park brake lead only and of course I get the message that the park isn't connected properly. I know I am getting this as I haven't grounded the "mute" wire. My question is that if I ground the mute wire will this prevent my mute button on my steering wheel from working once the part is installed?

Cheers

Spiff

Did you move the mute wire from one pin to the other pin??

No I haven't yet as I didn't know how it would affect the mute function for the steering wheel control. Since the stereo shop hooked up a GM harness to the deck I will probably end up wiring the mute wire directly to a ground.

Spiff

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Spiff,

I was seeing the setup that you have and had a few questions.

I am looking at getting the X710, and I also have a new iPod 160gb and the iPhone 3G...

Do you have any issues with the iPod hook up (voice activated playing, videos, etc...) And do you have any issues with the bluetooth on your iPhone (voice activated calling, phone book transfer, etc...)?

Thanks in advance for your response.

architect2423: Overall things it works ok. The steering wheel controls work fine. The VR takes forever to load the Ipod library and the bluetooth has issues. I have a new Sony Ericsson phone and I generally use the phone itself to dial. The Avic will mute itself but there is a delay in hearing the ring tone and sometimes when the other person picks up there is a delay of a second or two. Once the call is connected the sound quality is good on my end and I have had no complaints from the other end. I have no regrets with the set up but just wish the BT would work better. I used my phone with a factory BT in an Opel Astra in Europe (Saturn in North America) this summer and worked perfectly. I guess a factory BT system will be better than an aftermarket sysytem.

Spiff

• 4 weeks later...
Spiff,

I was seeing the setup that you have and had a few questions.

I am looking at getting the X710, and I also have a new iPod 160gb and the iPhone 3G...

Do you have any issues with the iPod hook up (voice activated playing, videos, etc...) And do you have any issues with the bluetooth on your iPhone (voice activated calling, phone book transfer, etc...)?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Hey there, I broke down and I got an Iphone. I didn't try the VR but the iphone is connects alot better without the lag.

Spiff