AVIC411.com

F900 USB question...

Have any of you guys cracked this thing open? How does the USB connect internally? I think however it connects has come loose during a vehicle to vehicle exchange. The cord going into the back of the unit definitely has some play in and out. Does this thing connect into a board, or is there a USB connection on the other side that can simply be plugged back in? I'm willing to crack it if I can reconnect without soldering.

Ideas??

Thanks guys!

• 2 weeks later...
Well, since no one else did, I'll answer myself here. Took it out and cracked it open, and there is a simple 4 pin connector for the USB. After about 20 screws and a few nerves, my problem is fixed. Very simple.

do you think this will solve the ipod channel issue, were you avble to take a picture of it,

I don't think it would solve the right channel issue. It was more of a connection problem. It would intermittently disconnect while playing, and I would have to remove the ipod and plug it back in. Finally just didn't work at all. The sound was fine even when it was going in and out on the connection.

I did not take pictures. The only thing that is needed is a small star key (the screws look like they need a holed star key, but they don't), and a mall screwdriver. I took out the star key screws, and all the screws on the back and sides. The top skin has to be removed first, so that 4 more screws on top can be accessed. The fan on the back is attached with a very short wire, so be careful of that. Once the screws are out, the unit comes apart in two sections. The top section has the CD drive (obviously), and the USB plugged in on the outside of the top board near where the USB enters the back of the unit. The plug was undone (I assume from the installer tugging too hard, or letting it hand by the USB cord), and it plugged back in. Very similar to the size of a four pin plug on an internal 3.5" floppy drive.

Interestingly, there were no seals around any parts that gave the old "warranty void if seal is broken" warning. I was fully expecting at least one.