AVIC411.com

HALP! D3 Unit whines, through the head unit, not the speaker

Hello all, I recently installed an avic d3 in my tahoe and I have the strangest problem. My headunit itself(not the speakers) has what sounds like alternator whine coming out of it, although it comes out even when the engine is not on, however when the engine is on it certainly goes with my rpms.

I've tried eliminating every variable there is, trying a million different ground spots, including going straight to the battery for power and ground with the same results. The only thing that eliminates it is by turning the screen off, not the entire head unit but just turning the screen off in the options menu and this whole problem goes away, is there anyone out there that knows how to fix this? Im banging my head up against a wall trying to figure it out.

• 2 weeks later...

What type of vehicle is the unit installed in? Does it have a factory upgraded system (ie Bose, RF)?

Did you use a wire harness to avoid cutting the factory plug or did you have to tap the factory harness?

Three things I would try.

1) Disconnect the dimmer wire, if it is connected. See if the noise changes.

2) If you do not have a powered antenna or audio amplifier, disconnect the blue wire(s)

3) Remove the stereo from its mount (either the cage or iso mount) and unplug the antenna. Does the radio cut off or the noise change?

Good luck, let us know what you find.