AVIC411.com

MSN Direct to be shut down

Once again, companies (i.e., Pioneer) and consumers who chose Microsoft as a technology partner or provider are left out hanging:

MSN® Direct Service Announcement

MSN Direct service will be available only until January 1, 2012.

https://www.msndirect.com/MSNDirectServ ... ement.aspx

Microsoft recommends one contact one's navigation device vendor to inquire about returns:

FAQ

3. I just bought an MSN Direct enabled navigation device, what do I do?

MSN Direct service will continue to be available until 01/01/2012. New 12 Month subscriptions will continue to be offered through December 2010. If service beyond 01/01/2012 is a concern, please see your retailer for information on device returns.

Anyone remember PlaysForSure MP3 players and music purchased under that Microsoft system? Piece of advice: call Pioneer A.S.A.P.

Well what does my confirmation email mean???

This mail is confirmation that you successfully purchased MSN Direct Navigation Services One-time Payment on Friday, October 09, 2009. Here is a description of your purchase:

The MSN Direct Navigation Services One-time Payment Plan includes Traffic, Gas Prices, Weather, and more for a one-time payment of $99.95 + applicable taxes. Service is not transferable to a new owner if you sell the device, and may not be transferred to a different device. Service is not guaranteed beyond January 1, 2014. Your payment instrument will be charged immediately upon completion of signup. You can cancel this subscription and receive a pro-rated refund at any time during the first three years of your subscription by calling MSN Direct Customer Service at 1-866-658-7032.

Well no traffic after 2012...guess i'll be in the market for a new unit by then. Also what are these other traffic services besides FM? Hopefully a lot will change by 2012.

# 8. Why is Microsoft ending MSN Direct services on 01/01/2012?

The delivery of location-based services in the U.S. and Canada has evolved since Microsoft began offering MSN Direct in early 2004. Leveraging unused FM radio spectrum to broadcast data represented a step forward in 2004, however, many choices today including WiFi, Cellular, FM RDS and other digital networks are now readily available and are continuing to grow in popularity. Despite good initial MSN Direct adoption, these alternatives have significantly reduced demand for MSN Direct service. As such, Microsoft has made the decision to focus future U.S. and Canada investments on these existing network connections and discontinue the MSN Direct services business. Microsoft will continue to explore new ways to leverage the efficiencies of FM digital broadcast in other applications and markets going forward.

Service is not guaranteed beyond January 1, 2014

Well, not only is it obviously not guaranteed to 2014, it is not to 2013 nor 2012!

Your purchase is recent enough that perhaps you can still get a full refund for the device and for the service you purchased. Good luck!