AVIC411.com

Cut and Splice GPS Wire?

Hi All,

I bought a used AVIC D3 with everything except the GPS antenna, previous owner is using it on a new system and told me he is simply cutting the wire and will splice to whatever connector his new radio has. With that, he told me just to go and buy a generic antenna and cut and splice the wires. Any one know if this will work? I went to frys and picked up a Gilsson 5342178, with universal fittings, but want to know if this will work before I start to cut. I have already verified that none of the adapters it came with will work, but I have a feeling it might work, just not sure how to successfully have the copper wire, and I am sure insulated wire inside the gps around the shroud that plugs into the unit.

Thanks in advance,

Just wanted to give a follow up to my question. I know that ebay has an antenna that has the connector the D3 uses for 14.99 shipped, but the Gilsson has had such good reviews I was insistent on using it. Well it worked, and perfectly! I cut about 2 inches above where the original connector is, and have had 3 straight days of perfect GPS.