AVIC411.com

Installing Z1 in RSX-S - HELP!

Has anyone had any experience installing the Z1 into an Acura RSX Type S? I want to have it installed, but I still want to be able to use the Bose sub that came with the car. Any idea how to do this? Can I work around the amp and still use the sub? Or do I need to find a Metra Kit....

Thanks for your help!

I haven't worked with the RSX specifically, but my Audi had the bose system in it from the factory. There was NO working with the Bose amp. But if you really want to use the stock sub, check the impedance, most Bose automotive systems are 2 ohm, not 4, and get an external amp that will handle a 2-ohm load, and wire it right into the sub. I've got an old skool Sound Stream amp and I run my stock Bose 2ohm door speaks with it. It should work like a charm.

The dash kit is rather expensive, but if you want to retain the Bose, retain the whole system, it's easier. Use the RCA outputs of the Z1. Sacrifice a set of inexpensive RCA's so you have the ends and solder the ends onto the factory wiring. Remote turn-on for the amps is brown. Left front is blue +, brown -, right front is orange +, green -, left rear is white +, black -, right rear is yellow +, red -. I seem to remember the factory sub sums its signal from the mid/high amp which is under the passenger seat. If you want to use the sub out of the Z1, run an RCA to the amp in the spare tire well, using the purple +, and yellow -. Hope you have some time.....

Sounds like it. Hurray, the bose system will work and oh we can't forget it'll get real LOUD real quick. Methinks it might even eventually damage either the bose amp or the amp in the z1. Oh well lessons learned. On a side note, doesn't metra make a honda harness with rcas on it already? Sorta like the 70-8112 for toyota jbl or 70-7551 for nissan bose? I don't know I worked 31 hours in the last 2 days my brains fried and now I'm babbling.