AVIC411.com

Dead Battery on Silverado 2008

*********FEBUARY 2009****************Having problems with Dead Battery with The head unit in...(F900). Installed unit with Hard wire Bypass. After 3 days with out starting, dead battery occurred. This happend a few time and this is a brand new 2008 chevy silverado. Took it in to Chevy Dealer and they said it is your after market radio. While it is off it is pulling 195 Milla Amps. So I had the head unit taken out and off i went to chevy again.. Now with the Head unit out, Chevy told me now its pulling 19 milla Amps and that where it should be. So now Im wondering whats the problem. Do you think it my be the Hard Wire bypass? Can Anyone throw me some feedback.

********NOVEMBER 09 ,2009*******Now Finding out This May not be the Head unit...Possibly the Scosche GM21SR 2006 - up GM LAN Stereo Replacement Interface with Onstar Unit. Im a Firefighter and I work 3-5 days out of the week. I stay at my Station for those 3-5 days. And when I go Off duty(GO HOME), My truck has drained its power and have to get a Jump. I have Came back On Duty and unpluged the radio Fuse....Let it sit for the time Iam at the Station. When its time to go home, I plug the Fuse Im and turn the Key and It Starts up like a Champ!... I have called Scosche company and they sent me out a new Interface unit. BUT Still the Same Problem ,,,,Dieing BATTERY

And Help would be Great guys, Thank you

I have connect all wires to the right wires....Color to Color = Black to black / Red to Red / Yellow to yellow ect....

http://www.scosche.com/ecom/download/page1-4.pdf

Seems like a real pain in the ass, I'm thankful I didn't have to do some nonsense like that in my Nissan. If Scosche sent you a new unit then in all likelihood you've got your wiring wrong somewhere. It's also entirely possible that you have a weak battery. You need to pull the unit out and go wire-by-wire through each solder join and make sure it is right.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but 195 milliamps works out to .195 amps. If your draw is .195 amps in an hour (ah) then in a 24 hour period you'd draw 4.68 amps. Given the fact that your battery is probably around 700 amps it would take 149 days to completely drain your battery at that rate. I'd say the culprit is more likely a bad battery or alternator.

we ahd the same problem with my buddy's silverado, it went back to the dealer twice with the avic in and they said the same thing, took it out and put the factory radio and the battery still died, took it to a different dealer and they said there was a common problem with the programming in the computer, they reflashed it and replaced the battery, and so far hasn't had the problem again.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but 195 milliamps works out to .195 amps. If your draw is .195 amps in an hour (ah) then in a 24 hour period you'd draw 4.68 amps. Given the fact that your battery is probably around 700 amps it would take 149 days to completely drain your battery at that rate. I'd say the culprit is more likely a bad battery or alternator.

Wow, your math is way, way off. A 700 Amp battery refers to Cold Cranking Amps. It is a power rating, not an energy rating. It just means that the battery can put out 700 Amps for a few seconds, not an hour. The rating that you need to calculate from is the reserve rating. Most car/truck batteries have a reserve rating of 25 Amp-hours. So, most would be completely drained by a 0.195 A load in 128 hours. This means that it probably couldn't start the truck after only 64 hours or less. It sounds like the OP's is going dead quicker than that now, but I would expect that. Every time the battery is run down to less than 10V, it is damaged. It probably now has less reserve capacity than it was originally rated for.

In general any constant drain over 50mA is considered to be a problem.

I had the same battery problem in my Buick Rendezvous. Parked it at the airport and when I came back battery was dead. Happened twice in between having Buick replace the starter which was not under warrantee. Took it back to Besy BUY and they said that Scosche had a defect in their units. They replaced the harness no more problems. Just because Scosche sent you a new one it does not mean that it still was not one of the defective ones.