AVIC411.com

Audible Books

Just purchased the Z1. I am happy with most things but was a little concern about all the attachments I had to purchase after the purchase of the z1. I do not understand why I have a DVD player if it can't be played while the car is in motion. I understand the safety issues but what about passengers. Another attachment I have to buy...

I do love the harddrive option. Has anyone figured out a way to play audio books without doing the many cd transfer?

It appears I can store up to 400 contacts but only 5 are available when the car is in motion. Is this correct?

Well if your passenger is not concerned about your safety, they shouldnt be in your car. That said, you can either:

a. Use the rear option and have your passengers watching video from the backseat while the vehicle is in motion

or

b. bypass the unit

This has been discussed to death. Take a few seconds out of your worthy life and see what us little peons wrote about previously. I hope your time isnt worth that much more than ours.

Thank you master.

Just purchased the Z1. I am happy with most things but was a little concern about all the attachments I had to purchase after the purchase of the z1. I do not understand why I have a DVD player if it can't be played while the car is in motion. I understand the safety issues but what about passengers. Another attachment I have to buy...

Well, contact your congressman or other local lawmaker, they are the ones that made laws to make them illegal. Even if it's "for your passenger" it's VERY distracting to the driver. Even if you think it won't be.

I do love the harddrive option. Has anyone figured out a way to play audio books without doing the many cd transfer?

I rip all my audio books to MP3 and then put the whole book (or multiple books) in MP3 to a single data CD. Works rather well.

It appears I can store up to 400 contacts but only 5 are available when the car is in motion. Is this correct?

Yes, one of the reasons I bypassed my Z1. http://www.sminntech.com/z1flash.html if you don't feel like searching for anything.

Thanks for the tips. My purpose of the original post was to figure out a way to get my audio books onto the harddrive. It was mention you rip your audible books to mp3. The way it is worded it sounds like a simple process. I have not found a simple process. My program does not read my audible book files but it will rip wav files to mp3. What program are you using? Do you have to record the entire book first and then transfer to mp3?

The problem is the books are not on CDs, they are in audible's format that can be transferred directly to an Ipod or some other approved player. You can create a back-up to CD which is time consuming because you will create 8-9 CDs per book. I was looking to bypass this step and take the audible file and immediately rip it to a MP3. The program I have does not read the file. I know why this is the case, since the harddrive is not a player it will not take a direct feed. I thought maybe there was an easier way.

• 2 weeks later...

I took the advice and purchase the Ipod adapter. I found a place that would install it for a price that was reasonable to me. It works great and not as slow as I read through out the forum. I thought since I had a harddrive I wanted to utilized it for my audio books as well. It appeared I was buying one attachement after another, but I guess I did get a Navi, DVD, harddrive, etc.