AVIC411.com

Why the Z110

Why did you all purchase this unit. I had one on order and when I found out that it was not running CE, and that it could not be modded, I cancelled my order. I mean, you have a crappy bare bones NAV program that is visually horrible. You have a GUI that is so plain looking and ugly that it looks like it was manufactured in a 10 yr olds basement. You can mod an F700 or 900 to have a much nicer graphical appearance, I mean when people sit in my car and they look at my AVIC, they say "WOW"! The NAV programs that are modified have extras such as trip computers, speedometers with trip calculations, custom all weather schemes, realistic backgrounds, real 3D cars (instead of that stupid arrow) etc.. You can also install new maps at any time in these units. All this you cannot do with the Z110, so why would anyone pay almost twice the price for something that is so plain and horrible to look at. When I first got my F700BT, I was so pissed at the cheap GUI on plain black, and the fact that you cannot change that in the settings. I called Pioneer and complained to see if they would put out a firmware with a better GUI. They were the ones that put me to this forum and explained to me that the unit can easily be modified, but that they would not warrant it if I bricked it. I have been happy ever since. I am not trying to diss the Z110, but I know that I would not be happy with the plain black gui or cheap NAV and I would be dissapointed with spending that much money on something so ugly as I at first was with the F700. I just want to know what makes this unit worth purchasing over a X910BT that can be modded to ones desire, at a fraction of the price?

I guess it all boils down to why you want the unit. There are almost no bugs in the system and everything it does, it does well. I do miss the ability to mod the unit as I see fit but that really was something I did simply because I could. Modding the F series still didn't eliminate some of the stubborn issues with the unit. Issues apparently that are still present with the 3.0 software. I also really don't need a new map every month. Once a year is fine with me and there usually isn't much of a difference to talk about when new maps are released. As to why I purchased the unit, it was to replace the DNX9140 I went with just a few months earlier. that unit was suppose to be superior but was far from it. I debated about going back to the F series but in the end decided to go with the Z instead and haven't looked back sense. Oh, and people say WOW!! in my car too.

The mods offered a lot of great features you didn't get with the stock firmware but those mods did nothing for a lot of the stubborn bugs that we all still had to tolerate with the unit. A lot of those bugs are still apparent in the 3.0 software for the F and X series units.

Because even though I had a sweet looking map screen and cool buttons on the GUI, it still worked like it had a processor from the dark ages. I still had to wait for the damn thing to boot up and when it finally did, I would press one of those coveted cool buttons on that little tiny screen and it would take forever to actually respond to what I pressed. The Z works like Pioneer decks did before the piece of shit F-series came along. It boots up quick, the backup camera works instantly, the button response is lightning fast which makes everything from changing the radio station to searching through 30 gigs of music that much better. I have been through about 5 different avic models in the past six years and the F-series was the only one that worked so crappy that it REQUIRED hacking to become usable. The new Z has given me some confidence that they got their shit together again.

If all you really care about is people saying "Neato" when they look at the map, stick with the F. If you want something that actually works well for the other 99% you use it, move on to the Z or another brand

Why do you think that? I had an F90BT, now a Kenwood 9140 that I am not happy with...

ELABORATE! :D

Thanks!