AVIC411.com

Hi all,

I am new to this forum. Infact, I am new to navigation systems. I never had a nav system in my car. I purchased a 2009 Maxima in August 2009. I am now looking into some Nav systems including Pioneer Avic-Z110BT. I have a lot of questions, but lemme first browse through some posts before I post anything. I dont wanna make myself sound like an ass :). Just wanted to say a quick hello before I started exploring these forums.

Thanks guys.

Thank you. I actually saw some videos on youtube posted by you and the some other member of this forum. Very helpful videos and a lot of info packed in those clips. Thanks much for those. I still have some questions that I can't seem to find answers to. I would really appreciate if you can help me with this:

1) I would like live traffic option. I understand MSN direct is the only way I can get it on this system. The tuner itself is like 100 bucks + subscription. Service is not guaranteed beyond Jan 1 2012. So what do i do with a 100 tuner? Is there an alternative?

2) I would like to use stereo control on my car's steering wheel. I understand I can use PAC SWI-PS. Will the installation process require me to splice, cut any wires? (This is for 2009 nissan Maxima)

3) I am not able to find info on auxiliary input. I would like to listen to music saved on my phone (Nokia N95). Do I need to buy additional adapter for this? If so, then which one? There seems to be quite a few adapters out there.

4) This unit is on sale on Crutchfield's website for like 1200 bucks after mail-in rebate. This price includes a free rear-view backup camera, ipod cable and some other good stuff. My question is if I purchase the unit from Crutchfield and then I go to a car hook up shop, then how much should I really pay the guy to install it with the rear view camera, MSN tuner (maybe), auxiliary cable adapter and ipod cable? I dont think i am brave enough to do this on my own.

Thanks guys!!!

1. The only available traffic option currently is MSN direct with that tuner. Future options may be available but there is no word from Pioneer at this time. Clearly once there is no more MSN direct two years from now there will be no second hand value in the MSN tuner for this unit. However, I believe there is still substantial value in this unit now and in the future despite the discontinuance of MSN in the future. There is also a way to get the remainder of the MSN lifetime service for free. Please look over the following thread for details.

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=28442

2. Yes, you will need to splice into the control wire of the factory harness that plugs into your factory head unit. Its not a big deal and should not be worried about.

3. The unit has two AV inputs on the rear of the unit as well as Bluetooth Audio streaming. You would either use BT streaming if your phone supports it, or you would need to have an adapter cable with RCA AV connections on the head unit end of the cable to interface with the AV inputs.

4. Installation for a complete navi system with those options is not going to be cheap. I would expect about 300-500 dollars. Crutchfield certainly offers the best overall value when it comes to customer service but if the expense of install is going to be an issue you may want to consider 6TH AVENUE electronics through Amazon right now. Apparently you can get the unit for less then 1K before rebate through them. Search the Z110BT forum for exact details on this.

Thanks VBLUE42, I really appreciate you taking out time to address my concerns. The more I research, the more I am convinced that Pioneer will replace this unit pretty soon (or maybe not). I am not a baller baller :) I am the type of guy who would buy something standard once and keep it for a while. I think i will wait for the replacement unit which will probably have an alternate way of getting the live traffic. Kenwood is not doing much for me either. Thanks again guys.

• 1 month later...

Hi I'm new to this forum. I just had my avic n-5 HEAD UNIT stolen from my car. It was only 4 months old. They didn't taken the HIDE AWAY (the brians),I_POD CABLE,BLUE TOOTH ADAPTER or the XM ADAPTER.

Could anybody suggest where I could get the N-5 HEAD UNIT. Either used or new at a reasonable price?

Thanks,

Pat