AVIC411.com

Help wiring rear back up camera

Guys, I took my F900 out of the dashboard to try and add rear back up camera. I have two questions:

1. I ran power for the camera all the way to the head unit and tap into RED power cord instead of the back up light wire at the back of the car. By tapping into the red wire I hope to be able to have rear view whenever I want it. However, my question, how do I make my unit recognize that I am in reverse and display rear view camera mode automatically once I put car into reverse gear?

I noticed, that there is Purple/Violet wire that has lable on it, which says "Reverse gear signal input", is that the wire I need to tap into as well? If so what do I connect to that wire, my camera only has Video, Power, and ground wires, that is it.

2. Second questin is really easy, but I don't want to screw up anything so I figured I better ask - which one of the wires that are connected to the HU is the ground wire? Since I ran power wire all the way to the HU, I need to tap into the ground wire at the HU as well. There are couple of black wires and couple of green wires at the HU, which one do I need to pick to tap into the ground?

Thank you.

1. The purple wire needs to be tapped into your cars reverse wire. When the car is put into reverse, this wire tells the screen to switch to the camera input.

2. Black.

Thank you! "The purple wire needs to be tapped into your cars reverse wire." I was afraid this is what I need to do. How do I identify reverse wire at the head unit? Or do you mean I need to tap into reverse wire at the back of the car and run it all the way back to the HU?

Can't remember off the top of my head whether the red wire from the HU is the constant or switched power, but if it is the constant power, then that might not be a good idea, because it means that your camera will be switched on 24/7 even while the car isn't running, which will drain the battery.

Better to connect it to the Switched power(or IGNITION wire, same thing) so that the camera is only powered when car is turned on.

you can usually find the reverse wire up front, but in case you cant' you can always go directly to the reverse lights on the car, there will be two wires at the bulb, and two different senereo's. the car will with have a positive trigger, meaning one of the wires will be ground all the time and the other wire will send 12v+ out only when the car is put into reverse, if this is your car, tap the purple/white wire into the positive switching wire then set the avic's cameras polarity to positive. other cars will have a negative trigger, meaning that one of the wires will will have 12v+ all the time or all the time the car is on, and the other wire will switch to ground when the car is put into reverse, if this is your car you will need to tap the purple/white wire into the wire that switches to ground and set the AVIC's camera polarity to negative

you can usually find the reverse wire up front, but in case you cant' you can always go directly to the reverse lights on the car, there will be two wires at the bulb, and two different senereo's. the car will with have a positive trigger, meaning one of the wires will be ground all the time and the other wire will send 12v+ out only when the car is put into reverse, if this is your car, tap the purple/white wire into the positive switching wire then set the avic's cameras polarity to positive. other cars will have a negative trigger, meaning that one of the wires will will have 12v+ all the time or all the time the car is on, and the other wire will switch to ground when the car is put into reverse, if this is your car you will need to tap the purple/white wire into the wire that switches to ground and set the AVIC's camera polarity to negetive

I don't think this'll work if he wants to be able to view the camera at any time though. It's best to do an accessory 12v+ hook up. my $.02.

Guys, I had a set back yesterday, I decided to check if the camera works at all by simply tapping into the red wire at the HU and Black wire at the HU. I tried Video cable to be plugged in first in "rear view camera" and than in the "video input" and in both cases I got no result at all? Once I started car the stereo came up as usual, but on AV inputs page "AV1", "AV2" and "Rear Camera" all greyd out like nothing connected to it. I am deeply confused :(, what did I do wrong? Why no connectioni with the HU?

you can usually find the reverse wire up front, but in case you cant' you can always go directly to the reverse lights on the car, there will be two wires at the bulb, and two different senereo's. the car will with have a positive trigger, meaning one of the wires will be ground all the time and the other wire will send 12v+ out only when the car is put into reverse, if this is your car, tap the purple/white wire into the positive switching wire then set the avic's cameras polarity to positive. other cars will have a negative trigger, meaning that one of the wires will will have 12v+ all the time or all the time the car is on, and the other wire will switch to ground when the car is put into reverse, if this is your car you will need to tap the purple/white wire into the wire that switches to ground and set the AVIC's camera polarity to negative

I don't think this'll work if he wants to be able to view the camera at any time though. It's best to do an accessory 12v+ hook up. my $.02.

well he already said that he ran power from the AVIC to the camera and tapped into the radio's acc wire for power for the camera in his original post, my post was just referring to what he need to do with the reverse wire so that the unit would automatically switch over to the camera, at no time in my post did i ever recommend that he hook up the power wire for his camera to the reverse wire in the car as of course that would not get him what he wanted and could cause major problems with negative trigger cars

Guys, I had a set back yesterday, I decided to check if the camera works at all by simply tapping into the red wire at the HU and Black wire at the HU. I tried Video cable to be plugged in first in "rear view camera" and than in the "video input" and in both cases I got no result at all? Once I started car the stereo came up as usual, but on AV inputs page "AV1", "AV2" and "Rear Camera" all greyd out like nothing connected to it. I am deeply confused :(, what did I do wrong? Why no connectioni with the HU?

The reason the options are grayed out is because you either didn't do the bypass or you didn't pull the parking break.

The reason the options are grayed out is because you either didn't do the bypass or you didn't pull the parking break.

Hm, I will double check but I did have a bypass hardware installed in the shop when I installed the unit and I was also able to watch video and DVD while driving, which is also proves that bypass working. Also, my parking brake was on, what else could there be?

Just in case I will check bypass today by watching DVD when parking brake is not on.

Well if it is bypassed then no need to pull the parking brake. I am interested to know how they did the bypass however. Regardless grayed out settings indicate either a bypass problem or no bypass at all. Even though it did work previously could indicate a bypass by some other method other then what is instructed on this site that will, in most cases, give a false positive.

from time to time, i do get a bad camera right out of the box, not very common, but it does happen, make sure if there is an inline fuse for the camera that it is good and that the wiring did not get damaged in the install

The only reason i can think of that they would be greyed out if hte bypass is done is if the options where not turned on.

For the inputs to work they have to be turned on, the backup camera on/off is in the "System settings" and the AV1 & 2 on/off is in the AV settings page. i would double check this before messing with any wiring.