AVIC411.com

What Inputs Are Left To Me

So I had my unit installed by a shop. I have the following options connected as inputs:

- rear view camera

- iPod

- Sirius (not that this should matter)

The shop never routed any other auxillary inputs past the dash so I'm wondering what is left - if anything? The reason I ask is that I have another portable device with audio/video out and so I'm wondering if there are 2 RCA and 1 video input back there that could be routed up front.

BT is Bluetooth. The iPod connection uses USB for iPod control only. The AV from the iPod is handled by a 1/8" plug that is part of the optional iPod cable. You can only use that connection for one device at a time. The ideal configuration would be to use the AV2 connection with an adapter cable that has the appropriate output connection for your MP3 device.

If the USB is used to only control the iPod, then for sure the 1/8th inch female has to be a 4-pole connection to carry both the audio and video from it, different than the standard 3-pole mini-plugs which just carry audio (tell-tale by having three black rings instead of 2):

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-5mm-Mini-plug-cam ... 5635f76c3e

It's a nice way to connect - one small cable instead of a fat one with three connectors. The downside is that I would have to always disconnect the iPod to connect my other unit and also change the input settings for this input change, correct?

Brad

• 4 weeks later...

Just to clarify....the av1 3.5mm input on the front of the d3 will play video from any video compatible iPod/iPhone as long as I have the corresponding 4 pole male/male cable?

This is pretty significant to me because I was about to buy a 5/5.5gen iPod video to get this thing working proper.

Thanks in advance, awaiting your reply.

For the D3 the input on the front is the AV2 input. It will support full AV through that input but the iPhone/5.5 Gen ipods will not output video through the headphone jack so that input will be pretty much useless. You can use the Pioneer CD-I200 ipod cable or get the Apple composite AV cable and go through the AV1 input on the back of the unit. However, you will not get ipod control from the later option. Everything will need to be done from the i device itself.

What about classic/"fat boy" nano models as far as video out for the headphone Jack? If not, I guess there is dock connector to RCA option and is cheaper than buying a used 5/5.5

having on screen control is less imperative than getting video esp since video usage disabled on screen controls anyway.

Also while I have your attention, I am about to purchase a Bluetooth adapter but I wanted to verify streaming capability before I pull the trigger. I've seen some had issues with it. What's the official word on that?

I dont know about the nano versions but you can go to www.everymac.com and look at the various ipod models and their capabilities. The Apple composite AV cable I mentioned will be your dock to RCA option. As far as BT options for the D3 there is the CD-BTB200 and it does support the AD2P BT profile for BT streaming to compatible devices. If you have an iPhone 3G/3GS with 3.0 firmware or higher you should have the capability. However I cant verify because I no longer have a D3.

I know that several features introduced with the 3.0 firmware are not available to the First gen iPhone but I cant say for sure that AD2P is one of them or not. Phonebook transfer on all iPhones is supported but not with the D3. The incompatibility is with the BTB200. Also this adapter is the only integrated BT option for the D3. Also, this is all off topic in this thread so please PM me with any other questions involving the D3.