AVIC411.com

Kenwood 6140 - 9140 vs. Z110bt

Please excuse me if this question has been asked, but I did a search for "Kenwood" and did not find any threads that answered the comparison question. If it's been asked point me in the right direction.

I called my installer from whom I purchased my Z1 (since upgraded to a Z3) to see about a Z110BT in a new vehicle. He told me that he has been selling almost all Kenwood 6140s, and that his customers have told him the Kenwood was the better unit, vs. the Pioneer, hands down. The main selling point seemed to be the Garmin nav.

I know both the old Z algorithm and the Garmin (in a portable unit). I understand that the new Pioneer algorithm is improved. I don't see that as an issue for me. My main use for a system other than accurate navigation is to control my iPod. I need one that has a fast interface and will charge a 4th gen Nano (with an iPhone in a few months).

Are the Kenwoods now the better system, or is Pioneer, for the things I most use it for, still the top system?

The reason he may selling more 6140's is probably due to price. the 9140 is full of issues so I would stay away. The Z110BT is practically flawless and is more feature rich then the 6140. The biggest difference between the Kenwood's and the Pioneer's besides then navi software is the user interface. The UI in the Kenwoods is horrible, not intuitive at all, and in a lot of cases it takes several button pushes to accomplish a simple task. I have had all of these units and the Z is by far the superior unit. Also, when it comes to the Kenwood's, don't expect the same Garmin you may be familiar with. The Kenwoods use a stripped down version of the software. Below are some demo vids of both the Z110BT and the DNX9140.

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=26954

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=29283

http://www.kenwoodforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5

Take your ipod with you and ask him to show you the ipod interface on the Kenwood and the Pioneer. You'll be having the Z110 installed before he figures out the menu system of the kenwood :wink:

Until you realize that Pioneer latest Atlas Nav database does not have any information about roads and address built during last decade, and the TTS is a garbage, Nav graphics hardly shows any useful information, and routing sends you over hiking trails in your car.

Best of luck with Poineer Navigation...

BTW:I do not know much about specific Kendwood 9140 model problems, but this is what I can tell you about Pioneer.

In fact, all those issues you just described are inherent issues on the DNX9140 and none of them appear on the Z110BT. Also, last I checked, you had a U series, not the Z series.

Yes, I have U series but that does not change the TeleAtlas database used, routing options used.

Not highlighting problems does not help anyone, neither force Pioneer to fix problems. I do not know why you want support Pioneer, I did not have anything against Pioneer or anything in favor of Kenwood either. I want users to know the about the unit so that they can make informed decisions. It is quite possible Kenwood specific 9140 has issues with iPod menu etc, but Navigation, not a chance.

Pioneer is the worst navigation "Bar-none" I have ever used, including a cheap GPS from previous generations I thought POS.

I tested set of addresses on Garmin 6140 and as well Pioneer(all models available at that time at Car Toys includes Z110BT, unfortunately after I installed mine), a cheapo $60 omnitech GPS(from 2007), only GPS that does not have addresses or the roads built during last 6 years and only GPS that kept insisting me to drive on hiking trail, and that credit goes to Pioneer. (BTW this is not a remote area, it is near MS campus in seattle area, some other addresses are public BUS routes).

TTS voice has flutter and "STAMMERING", and you can not even avoid a known problematic(or construction zones) in route review. What else could be lamer than that for a GPS?

I am not talking about one single experience, I have been using trying improve it, and trying find betterways to use it(called workarounds).

If you want let me know I can provide you my friends address which is well know address/densly populated address and see if your Pioneer GPS can find it(unless you hacked with NavTeQ database) and also try to avoid specific route in the route review. Best of luck with it.

I understand F-Series has lot of hacks and possible to make it little better with different TTS files, NavTeQ database and other hacks. But user does not have to resort to hacks to make it usable.

The F series is notorious for serious bug issues and the hacks don't address those issues. The issues you are having are problems with every nav system out there in certain areas. I am not having any of the issues you describe in my area at all. A nav system that appears to be perfect in your area will fail in another. No system is perfect.

The F series is notorious for serious bug issues and the hacks don't address those issues. The issues you are having are problems with every nav system out there in certain areas. I am not having any of the issues you describe in my area at all. A nav system that appears to be perfect in your area will fail in another. No system is perfect.

I agree nothing is perfect, but some are better and some are worst. Unfortunately Pioneer comes into this later category.

There are two kinds of problem, one is not having database, other is routing flexibility, details, instructions unit provides to user based on info available, efficiently using available screen area to show useful info and in both case Pioneer fails miserably.

I do not remember all the options from Z110BT, but in U310BT it is so lame you do not even have a mute for Blue-tooth, neither have an option show keypad to select options once dialed( Kenwood 6140 has it). Lastest update did fix issues with Bluetooth freeze episodes, but did not help much for Navigation problems.

I hope Pioneer realize their blunders soon enough and fix those issue.No wonder U310BT, a $699 unit is going for $299, less than Pioneer Non-Nav units, because that is the value users see with the unit(I paid more though).

China_n--Where exactly are you located? I see many of your posts referring to your european firmware

Yes, I have the new firmware on it. I got it from the European Pioneer site. It said it was only for the F310bt, the European models. The txt file in the update folder said it was also for the U310bt, so i made the update. Though i must say i updated it not because i had some issues, but just becau...by chinna_n

on Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:29 am

China_n--Where exactly are you located? I see many of your posts referring to your european firmware

Yes, I have the new firmware on it. I got it from the European Pioneer site. It said it was only for the F310bt, the European models. The txt file in the update folder said it was also for the U310bt, so i made the update. Though i must say i updated it not because i had some issues, but just becau...by chinna_n

on Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:29 am

I am in WA, USA. Anyways, Now I am running with latest US firmware. The quote you included above is from some one else (see double quotes, as I quoted someone else).

BTW, new US firmware has not a changed a thing from my last Europe update which fixed Bluetooth freeze. I see there is minor update to Navigation module 1.00021 to 1.0003, not sure what is it addressing as release notes did not mention anything.