AVIC411.com

Z1,2,3 to Z110 swap

I currently have an Updated Z1, 60gb hdd, DVD bypass, 2009 maps etc. I am considering purchase of a Z110. Are the Z110 plugs on the back of the unit the same as the Z1,2,3? I currently have an XM adapter, IPOD adapter and the CanBus adapter for an '08 Dodge 1500. Will all these all plug and play on the Z110 or am I going to have to buy new adapters for these functions? Also how about the GPS antenna, will I have to run the wire for the new Z110 antenna or will the Z1,2,3 antenna plug into the Z110 and work? If some of these will work and some won't work...which is which? I would appreciate any input on these questions, thanks.

You will have to use the harnesses for the Z110 and a new ipod cable is needed as well. As long as your XM unit is either the GEX-P20XM or the 10XMT it will work. The 110BT does not support navtraffic so if you have the 10XMT that function will not work. The antenna may be interchangeable.

I am still exploring my Z110BT. I recently upgraded from my 60gb upgraded Z1 with 2009 software. The only thing I didn't like about the Z1 was the Ipod connection. It's very slow, and there's no podcast icon like in the z110bt. Besides, who still buys cd's? It takes about 5-7 minutes to copy a disc int the hard drive.

• 1 month later...
You will have to use the harnesses for the Z110 and a new ipod cable is needed as well. As long as your XM unit is either the GEX-P20XM or the 10XMT it will work. The 110BT does not support navtraffic so if you have the 10XMT that function will not work. The antenna may be interchangeable.

I just came to the site to find out about this - I have a Z1 where the screen no longer retracts - its stuck at an angle and only moves in or out about a 1/4 inch, and the screen tilt menu does not appear any more - if anyone has a quick fix for this, please let me know

However, I was looking at upgrading to the Z110 - by new wiring harness (I am an installation idiot) - you mean the main molex type connecter called Power Cord in the installation manual? I was hoping to plug and play -

Swapping the iPod cable would be easy, and I'm presuming the mic, GPS, Reverse, and Speed connectors are the same

I have BT module but that won't matter with that feature built in the Z110

I THINK my XM module is one of the two listed (it has nav traffic) - why did they drop XM Traffic - the MSN option is not a real-time navigation feature unless I'm mis-reading it...

Thanks

Basically, the way wiring harnesses work (and this is VERY basic, so don't worry :) ) is that they allow you to interface your headunit into your vehicle.

Different makes and models of vehicles have different wire pinouts for headunits/stereos. The harness just connects to these pinouts and re-routes them to the correct order that is needed in order to plug into the back of the headunit.

As for the XM vs. MSN, it probably just came down to a matter of money. Seeing as how XM/Sirius was on the brink of bankruptcy right around the time they were finishing production on the Z110bt, I bet that money was the ultimate issue.