AVIC411.com

X90BT? Thoughts? Move climate controls down on dashboard?

For those of your who have an AVIC-X90BT, do you like it? I'm seriously considering getting one. I found a Pioneer-certified refurbished unit on eBay for $581 with free shipping. Is that a good price? I also found a Pionerr-certified refurbished F700BT on eBay for $432 including shipping. Is that a good price? Is the X90BT worth the ~$150? The X90BT would come with the 3.0 firmware installed. I don't know what the F700 comes with -- it wasn't specified. Is the X90 significantly faster?

I would be installing it in a 2003 Subaru Outback. I know the unit will fit. Here's a picture of the dash:

http://www.drive.subaru.com/Fall02/Fall ... terior.jpg

My Outback doesn't have the 6-disc changer so the CD player only takes up one DIN. I have two empty DINs under the CD player. But, I was wondering if there would be any way to move the climate controls (the piece above the CD player) down. I would really like to put the X90 at the top. It would be awkward to use if it were below the climate controls -- the Outback doesn't have much room up front. I would remove the factory CD player. Is there any way to move the climate controls down, below the GPS?

Thanks! :)

Hi,

If you go to cruchfield.com you can look up the 910 and then enter your vehicle info. It looks like it will fit into your car without the need for even a dash kit but you should verify this yourself. All of the units fit the same so you don't have to worry about checking each one.

In order to decide which unit to buy, you need to know the differences. All of the units have navigation, am/fm and ipod controls. Some come with the ipod cable but it is available for all of them at a minimal cost. Most seem to prefer the Apple cable to the Pioneer one anyway. So the basic differences are:

f700BT/f7010bt - play CDs only

X710bt - As above with updated firmware (3.01) (this firmware is available for the others at a cost)

f900bt/X910bt - Plays DVDs & comes with Ipod Cord

f90bt - same as the 900 but with high voltage preouts (4.0 volts)

I don't know Subarus, but doubt there's any way to move the climate controls. The mounting brackets and length of the wiring are limiting factors in most cars.

Good luck!