AVIC411.com

Some issues with my unit

I think my installer did a messed up job with my installation. Now this isn't a fly by night installation shop, I did my research. They came highly recommended from a BMW forum that I am a member of, they have done countless number of installs for the Z110, they actually had two other cars there in the shop that were getting the same unit installed.

I have had the unit installed for two weeks and from the various threads in this forum, the issue points to installation errors and not the unit. I plan on going back to them next week but I wanted to run my issues by you guys.

1. Speedpulse stays at 0. Per Vblue's suggestion in another thread, I checked it while I was driving and it doesn't change. I know this to be a VSS issue. This was on my checklist (provided by another AVIC member) that I handed to them and they still didn't do it right.

2. Radio presets are being lost when the car is turned off for more than a few minutes

3. I get two warning messages and I have to hit OK twice on boot up. One for the parking brake and the other is the standard Pioneer message. From Vblue's and other vids I have watched, I only see the Pioneer message showing up in the vid. JasonH's vid had the two prompts. This is not a major issue, I have no problems hitting OK twice, it takes all of two seconds. But if there is a way to eliminate the first message, can someone please point out how.

4. XM radio, POI and Address icons sometimes are grayed out and inaccessible. Sometimes it comes back after a minute or two but on Thursday I was trying to enter an address and it stayed grayed out for 15 mins.

5. Radio turning off when the engine is turned off. I was able to figure this one out on my own and its no longer an issue.

I am still getting familiar with the unit but these are some of the issues that I have experienced thus far. Can I have some specific, detailed information that I can provide the installer to ensure that they do it right this time? Thanks for all the great information I have gotten already from the board.

Also how do I load a custom splash screen and wallpaper on the unit? I have the AVIC Feed app installed. Do I simply load the image via Picture Editor onto a SD card and transfer it to the unit?

1. Certainly an install error.

2. Power wire issue. My guess is a bad connection.

3. If your getting the Parking Brake warning it is a clear indication that the wire is not installed correctly or the bypass was attempted incorrectly. There is only one way to do the bypass correctly and those instructions are present in two threads in the hacks and mods section of the Z110BT forum.

4. Same as #3

Lastly you can only change the splash screen on this unit. There are two ways to do it. Either way will be uploaded to the unit from an SD card. You can use the AVIC FEEDS app choose your image and resize it to the proper size and format for the unit. The second method involves creating a folder on your computer called "PICTURES" Place your image in that folder and copy the entire PICTURES folder to your SD card. Go to the unit and go to: SETTINGS, SYSTEM SETTINGS, SPLASH SCREEN. Here you will be able to change the splash screen to your liking. This proceeder is also detailed on page 99 of the owners manual.

I printed out the bypass instructions from the thread, along with the pic and gave it to the installer, along with the checklist the other member posted. As for what went wrong, can't say. The bypass seemed pretty straight forward, but as evident in several posts on the board, people blotch it somehow.

All my issues seems to point to loose connections or improper wiring. Hopefully it can all be corrected soon.

Thanks for the information.