AVIC411.com

Newbie questions

I've been finding tons of info on the forum here, but I still have some questions I was hoping someone could help me with before I take this in to get it installed. Any help would be appreciated.

1. I'll be getting the unit professionally installed. Once it's installed, how hard is it to get to the back of the unit? Is it not possible without taking the entire dashboard off?

2. I have zero electrical experience other than things like installing lightswitches and ceiling fans, so I don't know what's meant for step 2 of the bypass instructions: "Take the mute wire and tie it & and the green parking brake wire to ground." All the YouTube videos and pictures online gloss right over this step and I can't find anything about on this forum, so it must be something easy, but I'm afraid it needs to be spelled out for retards like myself. What's meant by "tieing" wires? I assume I'm not just tying it in a knot. Does it involve stripping the wires? Soldering? I don't even know what soldering is... something about heat and melting wires I think. Can someone explain this step better? Don't be afraid to list it out extremely over-simplistically, like you're talking to a four-year-old. Per this YouTube video, "you're going to take the yellow wire and the green wire and ground them. Either "chasity (?)" ground it or ground it with your black wire."

3. I don't need to buy anything extra to hook this up to my iPod, do I? I've been seeing some stuff about iPod adapters, but I thought this unit came with everything.

4. Similary, I don't currently have a Siruis/XM subscription, nor MSN Direct. Do I need to buy anything extra to get these to work? How will I get setup with these? I did see that MSN Direct is expiring so I may not bother with that.

5. While I'm at it, I currently have factory speakers in the SSR. As long as I'm throwing money around, are there any cheap upgrades I should do that'll really improve sound quality? I'm not an audiophile, but I'm definitely not opposed to spending a few hundred more if it'll make a noticeable difference.

Thanks,

Drzy

For the ipod/iphone you need this cable: CD-IU50V

I found it cheapest on eBay. Just make sure you narrow your search on eBay to US shippers only so you don't order from China or some place outside the US.

Step #2 is just basically telling you that you need to ground out those wires. So basically there is a ground wire on your cable connector. Just connect the two wires and connect them to the ground wire. You need to splice the wire to get to the actual wire itself. They best way for me was to get these "tap in wire connectors". This is much simpler then splicing the wire and then braiding the wires together. You just simply put the wire in the tap in and squeeze them down. It will then "Tap in" to the wire.

Taking your car interior apart can be easy or a pain depending on the car and your patience. I have a toyota 4runner and I can literally take my z110bt out of my interior in 5 minutes. My car comes apart like lego's!!! Some cars are not so easy.

The wiring stuff is easy. I suggest you watch this video on getting the yellow wire out of the plug:

I did it that way and it was very simple

1. Well that depends I have a 06 Mustang and its relatively easy to get to the back of the unit and if not the whole dash can be poped out in a couple of easy steps. But its different with ever car when your getting it installed just ask to see how easy it is to get to the back or take off the required parts to get to the back of the unit.

2. The best advice I can give you being in the same boat as you is just ask the installer to do the bypass most are really nice and understand as long as you understand the risk and whatnot and just be polite and ask them. If they wont do the bypass they would be the best to offer advise on where to take it or how to do it yourself. I hope that helps :?

3. You dont really need anything but I do have the Ipod cable that just plugs into the ipod its the only way you can play video though the HU but you can get by with the ipod cable and a wire for the audio. Im not exactly sure cause I have the cable..

4. If you want siruis or xm you will have to buy the module for it. the store would be more than happy to offer thoes services to you im sure.. :lol:

5. You could change out the front speakers I changed out my stock front speakers with a good pair of infinity speakers that were on clearance.. and yes it makes a huge difference 8)

Good luck I hope this helps!

3. You dont really need anything but I do have the Ipod cable that just plugs into the ipod its the only way you can play video though the HU but you can get by with the ipod cable and a wire for the audio. Im not exactly sure cause I have the cable..

You will need the Pioneer CD-IU50V iPod cable if you want all of the iPod capabilities that the unit is capable of. The iPod cable that came with your ipod will not be sufficient.

Thanks all. I ordered the Pioneer CD-IU50V iPod cable.

Bummer on the bypass though... I've been trying to remove the pin via stables and thumbtacks and sewing needles all day with no progress. I'd seen the YouTube video with the guy using the razor blade but was avoiding that because I was afraid I'd f*** something up. I finally gave up and gave that a try, and it didn't go too well. I snapped the pin and half. Not only that, I still can't get part of the pin out of there:

002.jpg

004.jpg

Is this salvageable? Where do I go from here? I wish I could just order a wire online somewhere.

Would you mind saying who or in what part of the forum? I believe I've read every post of the AVIC Z110 section and haven't come across that, and I'm searching more now for all sorts of terms and can't find him.

I didn't see anything in the classified section either.

Looks like you decided to use a dremel cutting disc over a razor blade..... In which sucks, as it also looks like you've managed to melt the guides of the connector itself....

I think you may need to start over... Odds are that the connector won't even fit right inside the unit..... find the P/N for that connector, and see if you can't get it from Pioneer...

Did you pull the locking piece from the back first, like all the tuts describe?

To put it simply... You have managed to murder the bypass.... It's really not that hard bro...

Did you pull the locking piece from the back first, like all the tuts describe?

I think I did. I was having a hard time figuring out what exactly the locking piece was, but I think it's the three flat rectangular pieces on the bottom with little notches in them. I managed to pry them open with a tiny screwdriver, and as I kept prying further and further the piece eventually broke off (shown below). But at no point did it ever get any easier or harder to pull out the wire.

avic_03.jpg

Here's a couple more pics of the s***-job I've done. Dwagbone's right, I don't own a razor blade so I used the sharpest knife in my kitchen I could find. It's easy to see where f***ed up, the cut was way too narrow to try to force the wire through like I did.

I don't think I've cut into any of the hole where the wire should move to, so it may be possible to keep using the same harness

avic_01.jpg

avic_02.jpg

Based on those pics, is it best to start over? I think I found the part on Pioneer's site: http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/mod ... VIC-Z110BT

I think it's Part# CDP1194, RCA plug? Correct me if I'm wrong. That's $75 with tax and shipping, which sucks, but it's doable.

If I can get away with just a new wire, maybe I can drive by the installer today and see if he has one.

I'm not sure, since I broke the connector. I'm going to take it to the installer tomorrow and see if he has any spare wires and get his opinion. I'll do my best to avoid using the word bypass or saying anything remotely connected to bypass, and hopefully he's cool with it.