AVIC411.com

I've searched and haven't found a walkthru on how to play movies from the SD card (so if there is a good post please post a link). I have tried putting the videos (in iphone format) on an SD card and can't get them to play. Do I have to create a certain folder or put the file in a different format? The card is formatted to FAT32. Any advice on how to make it work? Thanks!

LOL... I can't get it to work either... And I too have yet to see anyone answer on how to.

I'm starting to think that it's broke... I've try a good handful of different ways...different formats...different encoding...dropping them in root...in Pictures...even made a Video and Movies directory in which the Avic ignored... I guess it only sees /root and /Pictures.... pays no attention to any other directories...

I think I'll just give up on it... with a 16GB limitation, I don't see any need for the SD Card....other than for future firmware updates from Pioneer... If they even use it for updating this unit(my guess it'll be with a CD like the previous Z's) My movies will just have to be played via my IPod for now...

• 2 weeks later...

I've gotten .avi encoded as divx/xvid to play at 768kbps through the SD card without problem. I, personally, don't like using the SD card, thouhg, becuase it only lets you show the video on the main screen, not the rear screens (if installed).

Interestingly, and I've pointed it out is a sticked thread about divx, divx and mpg4 in an avi container are the same thing. As long as your file has a .avi extenstion and is mpeg4 (essentially generic divx/xvid), it will play via both the disc drive and SD card. disc drive, of course, is limited to 720x480 resoultion and the SD card has some serious bandwidht limitations (I'm sure I'm pushing it with the 768kbps video I tried). DVD's have an average bitrate around 5Mbps, so an avi played via disc has plenty of bitrate headroom.

There's a lot more detail regarding my expirimentation here:

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=30429

I can get videos to play thru the SD card, but for some reason my voice and video get out of sync. Are there any settings you can change to make them play better?

Did you confirm that they play in synch via your PC? What are the audio and video bitrates of the videos?