AVIC411.com

CD-VC1 steering wheel control & voice...

Does anybody use this? I'm debating getting the steering wheel control, and if I did I'd get the voice command mic because the prices are pretty close.

I don't know about buying it however, because look at a picture of my steering wheel: 5W548910-13sm.jpg

There doesn't seem to be a good place to put it. Where would it go to be easily accessible?

And is the voice command just junk?

I have one and like it. On yours I would mount it on the right just above the controls that are already there. The voice works well for me. If there is a lot of road or wind noise at high speeds it may get confused. The closer you get the mic to your head the better. For the $30 I think you will like it.

The mic has a really looooong cord so you can mount it just about anywhere. It comes with a clip for the visor. You can put it anywhere you like. I suggest you try it several different places to get the best results while driving. After you figure out where you want it, run your wire and mount it. I have mine in the door pillar above my head and just slightly forward. Mount the remote the same way. Just try different positions on the wheel till you get a good feel. The closer to the radio the better.

I've had this since I got my N1 2 years ago, and to be honest, I've used the voice thing maybe twice. But that's just me, I'm sure some use it constantly and love it. My car has a 4 spoke wheel as well, and I put my remote in between the 2 spokes on the right side of the wheel, and it works ok, but when I am turning sometimes it won't work. Any newer pioneer remote will work with the N1 at least, the only thing is that some of them won't control the Nav features (like zoom and voice volume), at least to my knowledge, but I haven't really fooled with that much either.

Well after some use, I have to admit that the voice rec is better than I expected. Its certainly not perfect (apparently "Sirius" sounds like "Gas Station") but its good enough. I mean, theres really nothing on the voice command list that I can't easily do with the remote anyway, its more to show off.

I like the remote, although I can't figure out what the top button of the remote does, the one that says audio, and has navigation in smaller letters on top.