AVIC411.com

Help please, installer in NYC needed

The installer I used to get my Z110 put in came highly recommended from a BMW forum. I listed the issues in other threads of what wasn't working after the first install.

I took it back again today to get the issues fixed. After 5.5 hrs the speedpulse still doesn't work, the parking brake caution still comes on, I can't answer calls using the PAC steering wheel controls. I can't lower the volume of the radio when I am on a phone call.

I printed out the threads from here explaining what needs to be done to get the unit to work properly. They claim that they have never gotten the speedpulse to work or the caution warning turned off. They had no explanation for why everyone else's here works just fine.

I would really like to get this resolved once and for all but I don't want to go hopping from installer to installer, that might end up doing more harm than good. Not to mention, costly.

If anyone on here is from the NYC area and had their system successfully installed, please let me know who did it for you.

Thanks again for all the info I have gain from this site. If wasn't for you guys, I would have bought into the load of B.S. the installer was trying to sell me.

I can't lower the volume of the radio when I am on a phone call.

None of us can, its not supported in the software. All the other issues you are having are easily fixable with a competent installer. PM forum member Misfit. He is from your neck of the woods and has his own shop.

No 1 is trying to BS you my friend. I never hook up speed sense in the vehicles bc older models when bypassed will not work with speed sense hooked up. I dont mind hooking up the speed sense wire in the vehicle but I will charge for it. Original quote for installation did not include that as I never hook it up. The GPS works the same with it or without it. I have 3 vehicles all with the Z110 in it. I dont believe the pac unit supports you using bluetooth with it but I will check. I always do right by my customers and never BS anyone. Thanks for the time.

Do you charge for hooking up the speaker wires as well? That is crap and typical of so many installers these days. If the damn wire is on the harness and is intended to be connected by the manufacturer it should be connected as part of the install. Is it really that hard to find where to connect the wire to charge someone for it. :roll:

None of us can, its not supported in the software. All the other issues you are having are easily fixable with a competent installer. PM forum member Misfit. He is from your neck of the woods and has his own shop.

Am i to understand that your radio volume is not cut automaticly when you receive a phone call?

And thank you for all of your past posts they have helped.

Am i to understand that your radio volume is not cut automaticly when you receive a phone call?

No you can. :lol: There are three settings: attenuation at 10db, 20db, or total mute. If you set it to attenuate it is usually sufficient. However If I have the audio source above level 10, and make or receive a call, it is still a little loud even at 20db attenuation. What he was referring to I think was that the unit does not allow you to adjust the volume of the attenuation while on a call.

Ya know what customer is always right. I will do what ever is needed for him to be happy.

WOW, maybe I was wrong to lump you in with greedy installers. if I was overly harsh I do apologize and it is a breath of fresh air to see someone actually care about customer service in our society these days. Just when you think it doesn't exist any longer.

Skip the speed sense if it's a newer BMW, unless you want to tie into an idividual wheel speedsensor. I've done it before on a Mercedes, and after a day or two it threw an ABS light. Not worth the trouble.

If you must, all four spped sensors lead to the ABS module, and from there it is data. I can confirm it for you if you give year and model of the BMW.

The warning message, easily solvable with the bypass instructions here. It may need a reset also.

Answer call is only supported by a newer version of the module, and it calls it out if you look up the instructions online.

Hope this helps!

Skip the speed sense if it's a newer BMW, unless you want to tie into an idividual wheel speedsensor. I've done it before on a Mercedes, and after a day or two it threw an ABS light. Not worth the trouble.

If you must, all four spped sensors lead to the ABS module, and from there it is data. I can confirm it for you if you give year and model of the BMW.

The warning message, easily solvable with the bypass instructions here. It may need a reset also.

Answer call is only supported by a newer version of the module, and it calls it out if you look up the instructions online.

Hope this helps!

Funny you post this as the new E90 BMW the speed sense wire is a mission to get too. I also dont like tapping into the cluster for it bc if a code is thrown the dealer will blame the wire tapped into it and I will be stuck paying for the work. The new BMWs also have fiber optics and the amp needs to be bypassed and most places will sell you on aftermarket amps. I didnt do that. We did a fiber optic pass thru and got the factory amp playing with the new radio. I have no issues going over the whole install with the customer. All of our work is performed at the highest caliber and our customer service is what we are known for. Nothing eats at me more than an unhappy customer.

Hi James,

Thanks for joining the forum. I actually sent you an email this morning after I had a discussion with Derek at MAC Auto.

As I told you on Sat. this is where I got all my info on the head unit and how to address the various issues. As for my BS comment, hey if 20 + guys are saying this is how to resolve such and such issue and one guy is telling me, nah that can't be done. Then yeah I will think that one guy is BSing me.

I do not subscribe to the theory of the customer is always right, customers can most definitely be wrong at times. We are all just human, right. The fact that you became a board member and have offered, through Derek and also here in this post, to address and fix the issues proves to meyou are a standup guy, who backs his work and I think that's cool.

I have spoken to other BMW owners this week and they echo what superjet said about the speedpulse issue on the newer Bimmers, so I am not concern with that.

The PAC SWI 1.6.8 in my car supports bluetooth and voice recognition so I should be able to use the buttons on the steering wheel.

What he was referring to I think was that the unit does not allow you to adjust the volume of the attenuation while on a call.

You are right VBlue. I was referring to adjusting the volume while on a call. I changed my setting to mute, so now the radio/iPod gets muted when I am on the phone or when the unit is giving turn by turn directions.

• 2 weeks later...

So I took my car back to Mobile Addictions on Saturday and the third time was the charm. They were able to get everything working.

No parking brake warning on startup, DVD plays while car is in motion, PAC steering controls now work for bluetooth and radio presets.

The cause of the bypass issue - Although the mute wire was moved over and grounded, the cable wasn't secured to the pin. Once they took the HU out to further inspect it, they saw the cause of the problem. Which is what I have been saying from day one.

Anyway, it took two months but its fixed finally, and I am happy.

Again many, many, many thanks to all who have contributed to the forum. The information and knowledge I've gain from here is unparallel.