AVIC411.com

Updates - Poor Support - Rip-Off Prices

I went to great expense to fit a Pioneer AVIC F900BT sound/satnav system with reversing camera in Oct 2008.

I registered with Pioneer and occasionally visit the web site looking for map or firmware updates. I recently found out that about June last year there had been the first full map update released for this model which also incorporates a major firmware update, (CNSD100FM).

The problem is that Pioneer do not actually stock or sell the upgrade! When speaking to their support section they said this is not a problem as I will have no difficulty obtaining it from any Halfords, Currys, hi-fi shops, car entertainment shops etc. The price was advised as between £100 and £150.

After spending a lot of time on the phone and on all the major and minor websites, none of the outlets have it on their records! Two outlets agreed to try and find out more info. Both came back saying it is possible to obtain the upgrade but it would take about a week at least and would be priced at £207.99 by one outlet and £170 by the second - the price of a decent Tomtom or Garmin at least....

I would have been more impressed if Pioneer themselves had stocked and sold the upgrade at a fair price as a measure of true customer support instead of throwing it out to the retail market to charge what they want. If that is they can source it.

Interestingly, doing a web search for the upgrade part number CNSD100FM results in most hits being from bit-torrent sites. Talk about a lost revenue source because of (yet again) rip-off prices alongside poor customer support.

You can do the newer 2.x updates for free, the only update that costs is the 2.x to 3.x since it included new maps.

Rant all you want, but that was not a free upgrade.

There are other ways to get that upgrade *cough* hacks forum *cough* but you have to make your own peace with that if you want to head that direction.

• 3 weeks later...

The fact the same update is advertised at $75 (£48 at todays rate) on the Pioneer US website makes this a real piss take though.

I bought an F500BT in December and it has maps that are from 2005, I know it says 2007 on them but they are 2005 maps as I have iGo maps from 2006 on another unit and the roads near me are on them, and they are not on this so it must be 2005 mapping which is pretty poor.

I would be more than happy to pay £50 for the update and I do believe in this day and age where you get between 12-24 months worth of updates from people like Navigon, Pioneer Europe should step up to the mark and give a decent price.