AVIC411.com

ADT-VA133 trim ring/bracket kit compatibility with Z110BT?

New to this forum and I have seen a few threads on this but no definitive nail in the coffin. I am going to be doing an install of a Z110BT into my MkIV VW Golf. The golf has a double din hole but no mounting brackets. This kit looked like it is exactly what I need, however I wanted to check with someone who has used it with the trim ring to see if you had to do any modifications. Your car does not need to be a VW, just one where you used the trim ring. Any help / pics would be greatly appreciated.

This site is what swung me away from an Alpine unit.

bit

Thanks for the info. The car is a 2006 VW Golf MKIV old style body. Metra doesent have a kit for my particular car that is for double din, probably because while it is a dd opening, it requires modification to the back of the radio cage. I am mostly interested to see if the trim ring from this pioneer kit actually fits the z110bt. The metra kit you listed is for MKV VW's (New body style).

• 2 months later...
Im trying to do the same install - with the same question

Bit_bucket - how did it turn out?

Well while the Pioneer trim kit did work, the fit was not so great, and I ended up replacing it with the following metra part, and it works with very little modification on a MkIV VW. If this is the type of car you are using you want http://www.metraonline.com/products.aspx?s=95-9012. This is made to integrate a double din into any MkIV. I did have to modify the back of the existing radio cage to fit around the Z's plugs so that it fits real nice. To make it easier, I removed the whole radio cage. Depending on how you look at it this is really complicated as it requires the removal of the entire center console (front and back, back first) as well as the driver side dash and the glove compartment.

Everything looks really good and the fit is tight and OEM looking. Ill take some pictures tomorrow and post the links so you can see. Check Amazon for this install kit. I think I only paid 10 bucks for it.

MkIV Jetta here, anxious to see your pics. An install write up would be glorious.

Thanks for Any pics or info at all.

I promise tommorow I'll post those and do a write up. Just have been really busy with work. As part of my install, I installed the oem VW combo sharkfin antenna and did some coax splicing to use it for the gps and radio antenna. I plan to use the sat radio antennas within it later to add sat radio. It makes this really oem custom looking, but was a lot of work. It took me 2 full days to do the entire install. I'll try and write up some good directions as a guide if your interested in doing the same.

I'd def be interested. Did you notice any drop-off in AM/FM reception? I had been thinking about using that ant. setup, I'm glad you're trying everything I'm thinking about doing...haha. While you're at it, can you go ahead and use a PDX-5 alpine amp and let me know how that goes too....haha.

I'd def be interested. Did you notice any drop-off in AM/FM reception? I had been thinking about using that ant. setup, I'm glad you're trying everything I'm thinking about doing...haha. While you're at it, can you go ahead and use a PDX-5 alpine amp and let me know how that goes too....haha.

LOL, yeah if the wife would only let me get one... Here are a couple of picures. Ill post more and an install guide a little later.

web.jpg?ver=12702209530001

web.jpg?ver=12702209540001

Sorry for the delay in doing my writeup, I have been very busy.

MkIV Double DIN Radio Install (Sorry for the lack of pictures. I didn't have my camera when doing the install)

Note. These are the steps I took to install this stereo in my car and is quite involved, but does produce a beautiful finished product.

Install Items Used

- Z110BT :)

- Metra trim kit http://www.metraonline.com/products.aspx?s=95-9012

- Canbus interface of your choice. I used http://pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=278&CategoryID=26

- Euro antenna adapter for VW (Available at an audio installation shop

- Rear support stud bolt with 3/4 in rubber nub (ask at a audio installation shop; this is for rear support and is necessary with this kit

- Torx T20,

- Some type of plastic pry tool (I used one from Scosche)

- Euro radio removal keys (Available online)

- dremel tool or some cutting device

Instructions

Please follow the tutorials at the following 2 links. What you will be left with is the radio cage removed from the car.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=958556

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=967146

Once the radio cage has been removed you need to make minor modifications to it to allow the harness plugs to fit without compromising the structural integrity of the cage. Start by installing the installation kit from Metra on the radio. Next test fit it into the radio cage and mark the back where radio cage interferes with the harness sockets. Take the radio back out of the radio cage (you will need to push down on the tabs on the top that are part of the Metra kit.

Next use a Dremel Tool or other suitable cutting tool and cut out the plastic from the back of the radio cage where you have marked it.

Next find the screw in stud and rubber nub you obtained from any audio installation shop and screw it into the back of the radio, top screw hole and then attached the rubber nub. This is going to act as vertical support to make the radio fit much more solidly. You will see that the rubber nub will fit into the pre-existing hole in the radio cage.

Next you will need to wire your radio harnesses up to the Canbus wiring kit following the instructions that came with it. It is important to note that since you have a MkIV safety brake status as well as backup sense will not be available, so you will need to wire these yourself. After taking apart the console in previous steps you will have perfect access to the safety brake switch. Just tap into that wire. As far as the reverse sense, on my car I wired this into the rear passenger side reverse light. It was the first wire in the connector in my car, but test each wire with a voltage tester and find the one that shows 12volts when reverse is engaged.

Next you will want to wire up the included GPS antenna or install a VW sharkfin which is beyond the scope of this howto. I will make a separate how to for this when I have a little more time, as it is very involved.

After the wiring is all done install the radio into the radio cage and then connect all of the wires to it. It is a good idea to not push the radio all the way in until you install all the harnesses, especially the iPod interface. Connect all wires up to the car and tuck them away under the radio behind the climate control. Test the radio function at this time. Reinstall everything back in reverse of the instructions above and when done you will have the best fitting double din you can have in a VW