AVIC411.com

Got a couple quesitons

Ok this is my first post here and its gonna be a long one I am afraid. I am in the process of gathering up a parts list for my purchase of a AVIC-Z100BT. This will be my first aftermarket nav unit. I get to play with lots of Ford nav units at work which Pioneer makes. I am putting this into my girl friends 05 Focus ZX3. I just took out the factory 6cd player on Christmas eve and installed a Pioneer DEH-P4900ib. Its just not working out for us. That was a great upgrade from factory but not for as much driving we do and time spent in the car. Also it won't charge her iPod touch 3g or anyones iPhone3g. I plan to transfer over the Sirius module and interface and the Pac SWI-PS to the AVIC.

But I have a couple questions. I am looking at back up cameras for the AVIC and am kinda torn between a couple. The Pioneer ND-BC20PA, the Boyo VTL420, and any other ccd camera for that matter. Is the Pioneer really worth the extra $200+ over the Boyo? I really like the parking features on the Pioneer but its a Focus and we don't do tons of parking in that tight of spots. But I hear the camera on it is great at night. How does the Boyo do in low light? Also is the image reversed on the screen with either? I don't think I would like a reversed image. How is everyone getting the wires from the outside of the vehicle into the truck/hatches of cars? I plan to run it in there and then threw the factory wire harness into the car.

Another concern is will the power plug from the current Pioneer work with the AVIC? The reason I ask is because I soldered all the addons into the plug and also the adapter plug for the vehicle. So I really don't want to have to cut and redo all this but will if it is a must. My plan is to just use the new plug from the AVIC on the 4900 when I put it into my Mustang. Again if not then no biggie.

I currently just have my Sirius antenna setting on the passenger side of the dash. It gets great signal and doesn't move around. The AVIC comes with a little metal thing it looks like to mount the antenna on. Will the two have problems being mounted beside each other with in a few inches? If so I can just mount on opposite sides of the dash.

Sorry for such a huge post but I wanna make sure I got all the stuff to do this and do it right once. Also got the bypass info so I can do it also. Thanks for a great forum with tons of info guys.

Make sure you get the PAC SWI-PS version 1.6.8. There is also a wireless option now with the PAC WRI-P with several Pioneer wireless remotes.

The BOYO camera is the best value in my opinion and gives a good picture at night. The Pioneer however may be a little better for night image. Also you may have to drill a whole in the trunk area if there is no opening for you to run the cables.

You will have to use the power harness from the Z.

You may get interference if you place the antennas too close together. Everybody's install is different. Try a little trial and error.

The Pioneer ND-BC20PA camera has sparked my interest. Does anyone have this camera installed?

It seems that it is an ND-BC2 camera with an additional video DSP unit. The DSP can adjust the image to correct any offset that result from mounting the camera off-center from the vehicle. It also removes the wide-angle 'fisheye' aspect of the camera, which allows the option of a birdseye 2-D view without distortion. I don't think it's night performance is any different than the ND-BC2. For improved night sensitivity check out the pioneer ND-BC4.

The DSP features aren't a necessity; I have an older Alpine camera installed and it works great for determining if I am about to hit an object that is located behind my truck. It combined with side-view mirrors makes parking simple. However, I am curious to see the image correction that the DSP can produce.

I guess it comes down to how much of a gadget enthusiast you are and how much you are willing to spend on it.

I've installed the 20PA, but never used it at night so I can't comment on if its any better than other cameras. Its pretty cool because you can mount it off-center of the back of the car and it corrects for that. It also does a pretty sweet overhead view which would be great if you are hooking up a hitch or parking in extremely tight areas alot. The only drawback is that the DSP adds some pixelization to the picture quality. So if you don't care about the parking lines and different views, the NDBC1 or 2 will look better on-screen

Sorry for taking so long to get back here its been an extremo busy week here and then got a sick kid to top it off.

I am getting pretty excited about the deal. I am ordering it Friday. I am still undecided if I am going to run the Pioneer camera or the Boyo. I am kinda leaning to the Boyo just due to the price. The extra 200+ is hard to justify. If I move this unit over into a truck later then maybe I will upgrade to the Pioneer camera.

My PAC SWI-PS is the 1.6.7 version. When I bought that last month I thought oh the .8 isn't that big of a deal since my HU doesn't support the added features. Guess I should have bought it now. I think I can sell mine to a guy I work with though because he is about to add in an older AVIC of some sort to his truck that doesn't have blue tooth or VR. Either way I am gonna order a new one and set on the old one for a bit or sell it.

Thanks for your inputs guys.