AVIC411.com

Back up camera problems

My backup camera works on and off depending on its mood. I replaced it this weekend with a brand new camera and the symptoms have not changed. It seems to "black out" the image like the screen can no longer white balance. I can make out a few outlines of the image on the screen but it’s very dark. Playing with the brightness and contrast settings don’t help much. There is no consistency to when it will work or not but its working less and less. Any ideas. I know the next step is to send it in to pioneer to have them fix it but I am hoping its something simple I can take care of. Thanks for your help. I have an AVIC Z1 with a harddrive update with new software and the manual bypass.

Did you replace the entire cable when you replaced the camera? If not, there could be a partial short in the cable, enough to momentarily/randomly change the resistence of the line, but not a totally break in the line that would cause 100% of the picture to go away.

You could try connecting some other video source directly to the head unit, using the camera input, and see if it does the same thing. If it does, then the problem is with the head unit (or maybe a little short/break in the wiring harness), if not, then the problem's in your connection.

• 1 month later...