AVIC411.com

HELP: Need Tips for Steering Wheel Controls

So I got the PAC-SWI or whatever it is exactly called ;) for my install. It's supposed to be the latest version that allows VR (instructions are dated 10/09 so I assume that is latest). Anyway, I told the installer I wanted:

1. The Bluetooth/VR to be activated from the control. My understanding is I can pickup calls and/or queue VR via a button, correct?

2. Have my HD radio & XM scroll presets with the up/down and *not* just scan channels.

The installer had problems with this. Any ideas why? Is there a common error he might have done wrong? Just by looking through the directions, I saw that the commands had to be entered in a proper sequence, so maybe they screwed that up? Or are they just sloppy?

Any advice/tips much appreciated.

Thanks

1. Not with one button. Each control has to have a different button. Make sure you have version 1.6.8.

2. If its programed right there should be no problem. Just be aware that if you program preset scan, you will get no track skip on CD, DVD, or iPod/iPhone unless you have another set of buttons to program those functions to.

I have the old model that doesn't have BT features and I am not sure what they are or if they are implemented different then the other buttons. But, as far as programming the buttons in the car, you can program it to do what ever you want it to do but you do have to follow the programming sequence in the install manual. You just skip the features you don't want or that your radio doesn't support.

For example, I skipped the mode (fm, am, cd) select feature when I was programming and used the mode button on my steering wheel as a mute button (ATT for the AVIC F90). The SWI has its features to program and they go in sequence. If you have 5 buttons on your steering wheel and the SWI has lets say 12, you can pick any 5 you want. Volume doesn't have to be volume if you don't want it.

So, yeah, I would guess your installer was either lazy or didn't understand the interface. It isn't hard but I could see where he would think that each button should do what it did on the old unit. But, again, it doesn't have to. He should have been able to program it to skip presets vice station search.

Hope that helps a little.

1. Not with one button. Each control has to have a different button. Make sure you have version 1.6.8.

2. If its programed right there should be no problem. Just be aware that if you program preset scan, you will get no track skip on CD, DVD, or iPod/iPhone unless you have an other set of buttons to program those functions to.

How do I confirm I was 1.6.8? I bought from woofersetc. via Ebay and it explicitly stated in their listing that it was 1.6.8, and again the manual was printed in 10/09 which leads me to believe it's the most recent.

As far as each control has to have a different button, my wheel has a little "guy talking" button that I used with the factory OE to answer phone calls with. That currently does nothing. I was hoping that could be mapped to activate the VR or at the very least answer a phone call. Is this possible?

How do I confirm I was 1.6.8? I bought from woofersetc. via Ebay and it explicitly stated in their listing that it was 1.6.8, and again the manual was printed in 10/09 which leads me to believe it's the most recent.

It will say on the side of the module but if you got it from Woofers in the last 45 days or so you should be good.

As far as each control has to have a different button, my wheel has a little "guy talking" button that I used with the factory OE to answer phone calls with. That currently does nothing. I was hoping that could be mapped to activate the VR or at the very least answer a phone call. Is this possible?

Yes, as long as it is part of the steering wheel control that controlled the factory radio. As stated above from the other member, you can program any of the SWI functions to any button you want. Only one function per button though.

Make sure your OEM bluebooth module was on the factory radio itself, and not somewhere in the trunk, otherwise you cannot program the "call" and "end" buttons because they're not connected to your Z110.

How old is your PAC module and what version is it? Any function of the SWI can be programed to any button on your steering wheel that deals with the head unit.

1.6.8 I already programmed it for VR and everything works except for the call and end. I can't program them because when I tried, the programming ends after 7 secs as if I never pressed any button within 7 secs, but when I skipped the functions and don't reprogram the 2 buttons then it's smooth all the way through the end.

I know my vehicle has the bluetooth module separately in the trunk by itself, unlike other make such as GM, where the bluetooth module is built into the OEM radio.

I tried to program them to "answer" and "end" calls for the Z110 like the original functions; nothing different. Believe me, I tried for like 2 hours and they didn't work on my car; had to skip those two buttons. All other previous and later buttons' functions work, including VR, just not those two.

I tried to program them to "answer" and "end" calls for the Z110 like the original functions; nothing different. Believe me, I tried for like 2 hours and they didn't work on my car; had to skip those two buttons. All other previous and later buttons' functions work, including VR, just not those two.

Interesting, you got the VR button to work but not the end/pickup call button? I'll have to ask the installer to try both of those, hopefully one works ...

Yea ideally you should be able to program the phone functions before the VR function. Usually if there is a problem with a function before another function in the chain it fails to allow programing of the functions beyond the problem function in the chain. I would call PAC support and inquire with them. I will tell you that these modules are very voltage sensitive and if there is an irregularity there certainly can be issues.