AVIC411.com

F500BT shut down problems w/3.0 AND iPod or USB attached

I'd like to reopen this thread because there has been no activity for over 6 months and I -at least- still have the following problem. (My unit came with 3.0 so I don't know about pre 3.0.) When either an ipod or a USB device is plugged in the F500 does not shut down properly when the ignition is turned off. The screen freezes with either the error meesage about USB or the nav screen if nav wasd in operation. The screen won't go blank and none of the touch controls work. The only way to clear the screen is to hold the power button for 6 or 7 seconds. Then when the car is restarted the unit must completely reboot. The route info is still there, but you have to go get it to resume your trip. Has activity on this thread stopped because there is now a fix? Please let me know what it is. Thanks.

This sounds like a different issue than what I have and understand is the general problem.

The general problem with the F500BT w/ 3.0 is that when an ipod is left connected at shutdown of the cars ignition the F500 does a full shut down. Hence upon next startup the F500 has to do a full startup and resets back to startup volume settings. Previous firmware allowed the F500 to go into hibernate mode and then do a quick restart saving all settings and continue playing from ipod on startup. The work around for me (and a constant pain in the butt) is to pause the ipod and disconnect the cable before turning off the ignition, the F500 then goes into hibernate properly and restarts quickly.

Your issue sounds worse and you may need to reset/reload the firmware as it doesnt sound like its working correctly. You may also want to investigate your wiring/setup. How is yours wired, permanent install with/without power amp?

• 4 weeks later...

I have a permanent installation with the 4 channel gateway. I got a new ipod and the unit now operates as you would expect most of the time. Sometimes, however, the unit does a complete reboot when the car is started rather than returning to where it was at last shutdown. With a USB flash drive installed it always freezes up with the USB error message on the screen when the ignition is turned off. With the SD card active at the time of shutdown, the unit behaves as it does with the ipod active at shut down. I have replaced the USB cable with no change in results.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...