AVIC411.com

Amp on X910BT worthy?

Well, I am the owner of an X910BT. I have decided I want to get rid of my factory amp and speakers in my Evo X and will be going w/ some POLK 6.5 components and am wondering if they will sound good running off the X910BT's internal amp? Most MOSFET amps I see are 22 RMS 50 peak, but i noticed the x910BT is only 14w RMS. Not sure why its so downplayed, but will i run into problems where the unit cant drive the speakers well enough?

Would I be better off buying a cheapo 300w 4 channel amp and using that since it will do like 45w RMS to each speaker?

I would really prefer to go the head unit route, but only if the sound would be worthy. I know 14w speakers on the PC sound like crap, so I am worried the same would go for car speakers?

Personally, I would amp them and don't cheap out on the amp. I would run at least 100 w rms into those bad boys and you won't regret it. Pretty much all comps need amplifier power to sound good. My idea of good might be different than yours tho. I have a $2k amp powering my system with over 1500+ watts to a set of comps and one 10 inch sub. :D Let me tell you it's AWESOME! I went from a PDX-5 with a 1/3 power before and it sounded like crap. Just a reference point.

• 3 weeks later...

the power is a little low on the internal amps, if you want great sound then you will need an amp, do not buy a cheap amp as the sound quality will be rubbish, also the better the speaker, usually the less efficient it is and the more power it need to sound good. your buying polk speakers because you want good sound, dont cheap out on the quality of the amp, anything over 50W RMS will give good quality sound and have a decent amount of volume(slightly more volume than the AVIC internal amp at max but with out the distortion), however if you really want to crank it up and it still be clear at the louder levels i would look for around 75-100W RMS per channel.

also make sure that you are looking at the power handling spec right, if the amp says it will output 50W RMS x 4 @ 4 ohm and 100W RMS x 4 @ 2 ohm, then with a standard set of component speakers(which are usually 4 ohm) hooked up to each channel, then you would be at the 50W power not the 100W