AVIC411.com

Z110BT Startup & Bluetooth Quality

How is the startup time on the Z110BT? I just went from a D3 to a X710BT and I'm ready to go back to the D3 because of the startup time and bluetooth quality. I have the X710BT paired with a iPhone 3G and on my end, it cuts out, crackles quite a bit. Considering ordering the Z110BT rather than going back to the D3.

Thought the startup would be better. Phone is 1 ft. from the head unit, not even talking about call quality with the mic, the crackling is coming from the bluetooth connection, it's before a call even connects. Crazy things have happened on it as well, XM just stopped working for no reason, it had it tuned in, but no sound, everything else worked fine. Had to do a hard reset to get it to play sound again, then I made a call, it was dialing, and the system rebooted. Maybe I got a faulty unit? Either way, I'm not keeping it. Either I'll get the Z110BT or go back to the D3 than deal with this thing. The startup delay is enough, but everything else, sheesh...

That's a great deal and a way I was looking to go but went that route with Cartoys at a slightly higher price. I am still happy however. 6Ave kept fluctuating their prices too much on Amazon for my liking. I mean it was swinging by $400 within a 12 hour span and it did it about 6 times within a 3 day span. That is insane. You definitely hit it right tho.

Is 6ave.com an authorized dealer? The way I understand it, in order to get the rebate you need to have purchased from an authorized dealer.

I got Cartoys.com to agree to sell me the Z110Bt for $929 (before rebate). I haven't pulled the trigger yet though, because I'm concerned about a couple things with this unit. One being the bluetooth quality. I have a Chrysler 300 with a factory headunit and bluetooth, and in the one (only) test I did (from a noisy Car Toys environment), the factory sound quality was better. Could have been the noisy environment though.

1st. Cartoys is an authorized dealer. They are listed on the Pioneer website to this effect. Not to worry there. As for the Bluetooth quality, I have only recently heard any complaints on that and only from this site. I, personally, am not worried about it at all. Then again, I can probably count on one hand how many times I have made a call from my car too. I bought the thing for IPod control more than anything else probably. The voice control for IPod is something I am really looking forward to too. I have never had a nav before so I am sure I will be ecstatic to have one in my car and probably wouldn't even notice the complaints some are just now making on here. I find it funny actually. I heard nothing but glowing recommendations on this unit UNTIL I decided on it and bit the bullet and buy it. Now, all of a sudden I am hearing all this whining about various things on the unit that are undesirable. Honestly, there is no perfect unit out there - especially not factory ones - but this one is pretty close I think. Does it have things I dislike? Sure. I hate that it does not have an RDS tuner for one. 5.1 surround would be nice too. For the price I am paying for this unit tho, I think I will be very happy. If I had to pay $1600 like I would up here, no I would not be happy likely and would be hunting for issues with the unit and probably be very vocal. Maybe that is the case with alot of the complainers now? Who knows. I know that is why I hate Kenwood alot more now than this time last year. After shelling out $1500+ for a non-nav unit that was buggy, clunky to use and sounded like crap without the use of an expensive processor, I guess I am bitter like I think some of these guys might be now.

I dont think anyone is bitter. Just disappointed for the lack of a few basic navi features. I still think its a great unit and continue to recommend it. And I would go back in a heartbeat if I could hack it to do what I want it to do like I can with the X910BT.

I think that might be the case too as those that have switched from the Z110BT have all said the same thing. I am not really into hacking the unit myself so I think I will be more than happy with the unit when I get it in. I will be even happier when/if I get that upgrade to the Z120BT firmware however. I just got back from our local international car show. It was cool to see the Bentley's and Mausurotti's and especially the Spyder. I was really drooling over that last one. lol Oh, if I was only made of money. My installer had a booth there too. This was the most interesting part actually. He had a couple surprises there. One I knew about the other completely took me by surprise. He had a pre-release of the X920BT. He also had a pre-release of Kenwood's 9960 too. That one was the surprise. They were both a little clunky as they are both still kind of being worked on but it was nice to see both of them in action (sort of) in person. I am going to really like the new update that's for sure. The 3d graphics are sweet to say the least. The Kenwood was amazing but it was even more clunky and I have my doubts that it will come out 'clunk-less' :shock: . The way the buttons worked along the bottom of that one were very cool (that is if they work...) They were not conventional buttons. They were more like sensors. Move your finger over the spot and the button activated. There is no usual click. I couldn't get the source button to work really so I held it down (not realizing I had done it lol) and accidentally turned the unit off. The kenwood rep showed up right then of course which was actually a good thing. The turned it back on. It took the usual clunky 20 secs or so to see anything activity wise on the screen. He kept saying how the unit had 3x the ram of the previous 9140. I finally asked him how much the 9140 actually had. He said he thought 256 meg or maybe 512 meg. lol - That would explain the clunkiness of that unit now (for me anyway). Doesn't the Z110BT have something like 2 gig's of flash ram? Or maybe it was even 4 gig. I think the Pioneer rep mentioned 4 gig on the new to be released 120. Hell, that would mean the new Z120BT is going to possibly have at least 3x the ram memory of the new 9960! That is just crazy and tells me the Kenwood might have some serious issues. Only time will tell and these were reps that gave me this info and I know they are just trying to make a sale. The Kenwood just isn't/wasn't an option for me because of price point above all else.

I almost wish Kenwoods would live up to their potential. For like the last 4 years they have come up with a model at CES that looks like it would blow the Pioneer out of the water. Then it comes out and it is either a pain in the ass to actually operate, OR, it is just junk and gets recalled. I think if they would get their shit together it would push the designers of Pioneer nav in Japan to come up with a better product. The guys that make this stuff for Pioneer in Japan obviously don't drive a car or they would see the flaws. They are so damn close to a perfect nav, but it just doesn't seem to ever happen :(

II finally asked him how much the 9140 actually had. He said he thought 256 meg or maybe 512 meg. lol - That would explain the clunkiness of that unit now (for me anyway). Doesn't the Z110BT have something like 2 gig's of flash ram? Or maybe it was even 4 gig. I think the Pioneer rep mentioned 4 gig on the new to be released 120. Hell, that would mean the new Z120BT is going to possibly have at least 3x the ram memory of the new 9960! That is just crazy and tells me the Kenwood might have some serious issues.

The ram the unit has and the flash memory the systems is stored on are two different things. All these units likely have around 512 meg of ram and 2-4 gigs of flash memory for storage. Any chunkiness you saw on the 920 is likely to also be on the production units as this unit is shipping soon and it is not likely it get another update to address issues like that.