AVIC411.com

How To Use My Truck For A 3D Car

I would like to use images of my truck to make a 3D car file for my unit so I can see my truck on the 3D nav screen. I have taken a picture of my truck and cropped it out, it needs some work as I am still learning PhotoShop. Would someone be interested in using his thread as a tutorial for how users can create a 3D car themselves. I would be very interested in learning if there are members here who have the skills and would be willing to participate. I have been told the Russians are the leaders on this but not sure. I was hoping with the people we had assembled here we might could teach each other.

I just think it would be a neat project if someone would mentor.

Here is the pic of my truck. It needs some work as the front tire doesn't really look right. I will also post original if someone feels charitable & wants to show off their skills and return it to me.

I am also working on some F-150 King Ranch Splash Pics to go with Abbs Chrome Theme for members who might own King Ranch F-150s. I will post a few of those in that thread when I get some done that I like.

post-30542-12872761923619_thumb.jpg

post-30542-12872761928969_thumb.jpg

Yeah, me too. I will get pictures of anything I can for anybody that can use them if the end result will lead to my King Ranch truck being on my nav screen. I really doubt I could get it to a size where the king ranch emblem could be seen on the tailgate but that would be really cool. I have been working on some splash screens to go with Abbs Chrome Theme/Mod. Haven't gotten that good with Photoshop yet but I'm reading and watching tutorials on how to change colors and such.

Here is one I did last night, still playing with different icons

post-30542-12872761934845_thumb.jpg

Is there a thread that explains how to use these files with our version of the navi software?

While it would be nice to have the option to choose one of the cars through the settings, I haven't been able to figure out how to incorporate it into our units. I use Luigi from Mario Brothers as my arrow by using the sys.txt entry as explained in IDT's threads and elsewhere. Bear in mind that this is only for 3d, in 2d you get the arrow.

Even when I was running gurjon's zip, the car library wouldn't load for me. I used the sys.txt entry instead.

I would just like to know how to design my own 3d car. Can't someone point me to that thread? Is it possible to replace images in an exiting 3d car file to get the desired effect?

I would settle for a white f150 period but it would really be nice if when the map spins and shows a profile of the truck it was my truck with my wheels.

I thought there would be a lot more interest in this.Maybe I'm late to the party and everyone else has explored this and lost interest but if it is a matter of reading and learning from a different site i'm game, I'll bring back what I find. I was hoping someone here could teach others how to produce their own 3d file.

I'm totally with you on this Hube2002! I would love to be able to see my all black Expy with my wheels when viewing 3D from the side! I will definitely be watching this thread in hopes that there is a developer out there willing to chime in for us. In the meantime I'll keep working on catching up with the rest of you. I've got 13 minutes left on 3.0 upgrade that I'm doing as I type this! :)

Let me start by saying, I'm no expert.

I have researched this mod and all I can come up with is, you need a coversion software to

turn your image from a bmp file to a mdl and I think tex file.

If the images are not in the above format, it will not work.

I've surfed the web trying to find a free download for the image converter that would support these formats, but have been unsuccessful.

I have researched this mod and all I can come up with is, you need a coversion software to

I've surfed the web trying to find a free download for the image converter that would support these formats, but have been unsuccessful.

There's absolutely nothing that will ever convert a BMP into an MDL file, because MDLs are actual 3D models, and you simply can't make them from a BMP.

There is a program called "3D Object Converter for Windows" that can load some 3D files and convert them to iGO's MDL format, though.

http://web.t-online.hu/karpo

There's absolutely nothing that will ever convert a BMP into an MDL file, because MDLs are actual 3D models, and you simply can't make them from a BMP.

There is a program called "3D Object Converter for Windows" that can load some 3D files and convert them to iGO's MDL format, though.

Thanks BorisM, I'll check this out too!

Thanks BorisM, I'll check this out too!

Yes, thank you BorisM, I will also work on this and if anyone knows these Russians who do this please have one contact me or let them know if they will teach me or build the model for me I will be happy to compensate them for their work.

• 3 months later...

Guys I have been away for awhile but i can see from reading Mr. Blue's 3D Cars Add-on thread that this still has not been tackled. I tried everything I could to make this work. I followed ever link I could get to no avail. There seems to be no good info on how to do this. I always get short answers like "it's way more complicated than that" but no real help. I have downloaded every 3d Modeling program i could find such as Quake2, Blender, etc.. and they all give the error "this is not a correct .mdl file. So to date I have not been able to edit any of the models or figure out how to build one from scratch. If we knew what program is used to create the models we could possibly edit an existing one into what we want, in my case a late model Ford F-150, preferably a King Ranch, white.

Here is a link that i think somewhat describes the process

http://www.gamers.org/dEngine/quake/Qmdl/

My Truck I Would Love To See As A 3D Model

post-30542-12872762680456_thumb.jpg

post-30542-12872762680999_thumb.jpg

Hopefully MisterBlue could shed some light on what software is required to edit the existing models or create new ones. I have seen enough interest on the subject here to think a half dozen of us could get it figured out if we knew where to start.