AVIC411.com

Looking for BlueTooth Functionality, without using Bluetooth

I've tried searching, but not really sure what, or how to search for this. I apologize if there is a topic out there that covers it.

Right now I have a Blackberry provided by work. I've just gotten used to the hands free dailing, the caller id, the radio cuitting out, etc. I love it, it works great.

Recently work underwent new security restrictions and all Blackberry's had the Bluetooth feature disabled. now my prioneer stereo is basically be half used....

My question: Can I install some type of docking station for the blackberry in the car that is hard wired to the radio and not use the bluetooth feature?

I could live with placing the phone in the docking or connecting each time I get in the car.

any help in this area would be nice.

Thanks.

It is posible but it will require some type of car kit that has a mute wire option. There is a cell mute wire on the unit for old school type car phones that use to use that feature. However, I don't believe there are a lot of car kits available any longer that are meant to be hard wired in this manner. If you are able to find a car kit for that phone that allows the option to connect through the mute wire then you may be able to utilize your phone with the unit. You will however not get any sort of interface or control from the unit. All it will do is mute the audio so you can hear the conversation over your system. Also, you might try to protest with your company that talking on your phone non hands free is very dangerous and is now illegal in many states. I would relay to them that because of this, you will refuse to answer any business related calls while driving.

I was using my Bluetooth for a while, but the OS or the software on pioneer is not very robust. Specially when you have video playing from SD card, and never switched to map window (so you have not accepted the warning), if you get a call via Bluetooth.... good luck it not crashing. Even with the V3 OS.

so... after much back and forth, ... I came up with a simple solution. It is very simple and old school.

I have a BB bold 9000 with 2GB micro SD. So I put all my music and podcasts in the BB.

with a simple stereo cable I have the BB connected to the front AV input of the pioneer. Now I listen to my music without relying on the pioneer software, and if I get a call, the BB automatically pauses the music.

of course you need to look at the BB for caller ID, and pick up via BB and click on the speaker phone button.

This way, I also dont rely on the pioneer mic. :-)

I use the same technique on my other car that has an older 1 din pioneer CD/mp3 player. Simply installed a special stereo cable to the CD changer input of unit (from ebay for ~$8), and now I use my BB music with the old stereo too, and have phone working via car speakers.

This also lets you play/stream audio from your BB or watch youtube ...

And no more headaches with the pioneer crashing or hanging.

Cheers

Kaveh