AVIC411.com

Dodge Magnum Installation

Sorry if this has been asked already but I can't find anything on the site, so here goes!
I'm looking at buying a Z1 for my 2005 Dodge Magnum RT. Currently I have the factory top-end stereo/NAV system. I'll be using a Metra wiring harness/adapter, but what issues should I be looking out for? That is to wire it into the factory amp/speaker system. Any special hookups, or bypasses outside the Metra harness?
Second, is the VSS wire really needed. It is my undersanding that on the Dodge Magnum finding the VSS is a real problem; as in, can't be done.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
I take it the car has the factory infinity system? If it does, you'll have to run new speaker wire from the deck to the amp location. Also there is no switched power in the harness, so you'll have to run one from either the fuse box, or you can pick it up at the cig plug. That is if your cig plug loses power when you turn the car off. As for finding the vss in you car I'm not sure on that one since I've not done any sort of navi in a magnum.
I actually had a 2005 Chrysler 300C until a couple weeks ago (long story) but I also had the top of the line radio in it. They do use this can bus architecture. And if I'm not mistaken they transfer audio to the amp via a digital data bus... from what the dealer told me. I had a problem with my radio and both the amp and head unit had to be flashed to newer software cause there was an incompatibility between the two when I got it. And also after having my spedo re-programmed, and what the dealer told me was the computer and spedo was all this can-bus architecture. All this means it's very hard to integrate a seperate amp and radio.

You should go check out the guys at

[url=http://www.dodgemagnum.net]www.dodgemagnum.net[/url] (changed the name to LX something but this link still works, and I'm member number 69!).

Or even 300cforums.com. Both of those have tons of guys a few of whom have replaced those radios. I think more of the aftermarket radios were from base units. Most people with the high end radios in those cars left them. But I believe it's going to be a very hard install.
just out of curiousity, why are you replacing the RBZ? We have it in my wife's Commander and I think it is a very well done unit. I am trying to imitate it in my 05 Ram by going with the Z1.
  • 1 month later...
[quote name="MLB12"]Sorry if this has been asked already but I can't find anything on the site, so here goes!
I'm looking at buying a Z1 for my 2005 Dodge Magnum RT. Currently I have the factory top-end stereo/NAV system. I'll be using a Metra wiring harness/adapter, but what issues should I be looking out for? That is to wire it into the factory amp/speaker system. Any special hookups, or bypasses outside the Metra harness?
Second, is the VSS wire really needed. It is my undersanding that on the Dodge Magnum finding the VSS is a real problem; as in, can't be done.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

Amp Location is under the driver side cover 2 plug the big one is the bypass for the dash aand the small one is the output of all speakers
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c311/wooker/0062.jpg[/img]