AVIC411.com

AV Controls on the Navi Screen

Over many months I have been reading and running many of the mods on this forum. Most seem pretty good and understandable. Though they are not really what I am looking for. So I would like to ask the following question before begin my own mod.

Is it possible (or been done before) to link other 'AV or Phone' features the the Navi screen. In general I mainly use the GPS to see where I am and what is arround me, and rarely do I input a destination or change my display settings. However I do always like to see a map of where I am. The problem is that when the map is up, other features of the unit become difficult to use. An example is changing the radio station. Clicking the wheel knob changes the frequency, but not the preset. It would be great to add a preset button(s) to the Navi screen. And a button to toggle through the AV decives. Also it would be neat to have a shortcut button to directly dial the 'old lady'. Voice dialing does not work so well and selecting her name from the contacts list is cumbersome (though recent call list is a bit better). On a final note the MSN information (though discontiuned in 1.5 yrs) could be more useful if it was more readily availible. A one touch buttion to weather or traffic or news would be great, and an overkill for sure would be a stock ticker that would cycle through the updated stock prices.

As for cluttering the screen, two things will help. One I dont need such detailed route functions as is most of the mods I have thus far tried. And two, Keepers quick menus could hold some of the icons. (Example: the phone icon could be a quick menu that when pressed pops out a list of 6 preset phone contacts, similar to the speed dials on the actual phone. Example 2: an AV button could be the quick menu to show and select availible audio sources. Hence I could go from listening to FM to XM to Ipod without having to go to the AV menu, then the device, then clicking the MAP button to return to watching the streets go by on the navi.)

I have spent a bunch of time reading both the UI files and posts in the forum over the past months. I have made comparitively smaller changes with success, and I am now wondering if the above is an actually posibility. Please let me know if this is something that anyone has tried, and/or if it is systematically possible / not possible. Anyone who has done something similar, please let me know as it maybe your files could be a good jumping off point for me.

Thanks,

Matt

OMG, you practically wrote a novel here, lol. To try and answer some of your questions is easy, others not so. A lot of what you ask is already in mods to a part. In my Chrome Nav Mod, there is a phone button that brings you right to the phone menu from the NAV screen. If you hold in the phone button, then it will call what ever number you have assigned to it without leaving the nav screen. As far as modding anything else from the AV screen is very difficult as the AV section is hard coded and in an entirely different section than the NAV section. A few modders here have done a lot of hard work to get the phone aspect working with the NAV, and IDT found a way to play with the icons that are on the NAV screen from the AV section, however, I think that is as far as she goes.

Diaftia's Nav mod also has the direct pjone function as a bluetooth icon that also phones any programmed number without leaving the NAV screen and his mod has MSN so you can go to MSN Direct by pressing an icon. I hope that this helps, good luck!