AVIC411.com

Getting to Testmode after updating to 2.0080...

As the title states, is this still possible? I've done an extensive search of the site, but no mentions of this actually being done after an update from 2.0060 to 2.0080. I've attempted to access Windows CE with both the older version of Testmode and the 2.3 version. Has anyone successfully accomplished this?

Sounds like you'll need to determine what "key file" (the files in the Testmode archive without an extension that are a mix of numbers and letters) 2.0080 is looking for in order to let you enter test mode. We usually have to get new ones after a firmware release.

Reason number 1 not to upgrade your firmware until after someone posts the ones for the new release. :(

Could someone elaborate on how to acquire this key so that we can gain access via Testmode with this version of the firmware? Is it something that a very experienced layman could do or more that I want to bite off and chew at this time?

Could someone elaborate on how to acquire this key so that we can gain access via Testmode with this version of the firmware? Is it something that a very experienced layman could do or more that I want to bite off and chew at this time?

Well, you could write a script that generates every possible combination of the 0-byte file names. The file names are 32 characters long with every position as a digit (0-9) or an upper case letter (A-Z). Only 6.3340286662973277706162286946812e+49 possible combinations... Well, that minus the known good keys for previous versions that obviously don't work on 2.0080. ;) Then you copy all the files (or the number that the file system can support in a directory minus the number of pre-existing files) to your SD card, put it in and see if it boots. If not, delete and copy the next set over, retry, yada yada yada... You get the idea. Once you find the set that works, you start chopping the set in half and retrying, each time you get success you cut that set in half.

As you can see, the brute force method can be very labor intensive. I'm willing to wager someone with IdaPro can disassemble the .exe that launches the MortScript to find the key in less time. Carver usually finds the latest keys on the Russian GPS enthusiast sites, you could try PM'ing him to see if he's come across it yet.

I'm running 3.0, so no way for me to test out this on my deck.

As the title states, is this still possible? I've done an extensive search of the site, but no mentions of this actually being done after an update from 2.0060 to 2.0080. I've attempted to access Windows CE with both the older version of Testmode and the 2.3 version. Has anyone successfully accomplished this?

Yes.. Search testmode and just look for the latest version.