AVIC411.com

whining sound coming from speakers

I have a whining sound coming from my speakers after this install. the sound is not very loud and the frequency changes some with time, all relatively high pitched. seems mostly if not exclusively the rear speakers.

it is NOT alternator whine, I'm hearing this with the engine off. with the engine on the exhaust is much louder and drowns the sound out so it can't be herd, that is if its even doing this while the engine is running.

I am not using the internal amplifier, its an external 5 channel amp. power wires are run on the opposite side of the car from the RCAs. RCAs are double twist type.

I didn't notice it with my previous Alpine head unit, although the sound quality is much better with this one, it added this whine.

anyone else experience this? any suggestions?

Ground, reground, re-reground.

1) Make sure the ground on the head unit is soldered REALLY WELL.

2) Make sure the Ground on your amp is solid (you made your own) and you're using a cable that's bigger than you need

3) Make sure the amp housing touches NO metal

If that fails:

4) Cut the ground to the deck and run a wire directly to the same grounding location as the amp; if it's a long run (to the rear) go nuts with gauge, something like 14 or 12.

If that fails:

5) From the ground on the deck, run another wire, strip 6" of it and wrap the outsides of the RCA metal connectors (the ground) and tape around them.

If fails, or, really, even if you have to do step 5, get another deck (anything, find a used CD Player from 1990) and see if you get the same problem.

ARE YOU USING anything else in between like a signal splitter or EQ? These things are the devil for uneven grounding.

Guess how I know (all of) this? My Avic-D3 is having this trouble . . . it's a beech. I suspect the internal grounding has somehow come unsoldered or something else though because it used to not have this issue.

-Ernie

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Dustpuppy were you able to fix the problem I'm having the same problem as you only noise when pause the music or mute no noise when I turn on the volume u can't hear it anymore. Well I have a 04 vw passat w8 with factory amp. The only installation I made is the head unit evrything else is stock. And is only coming from the driver's passangers side speakers or tweets. I check all the cables on the head unit and everysingle one of them are well connected.

Hey Dustpuppy were you able to fix the problem I'm having the same problem as you only noise when pause the music or mute no noise when I turn on the volume u can't hear it anymore. Well I have a 04 vw passat w8 with factory amp. The only installation I made is the head unit evrything else is stock. And is only coming from the driver's passangers side speakers or tweets. I check all the cables on the head unit and everysingle one of them are well connected.

Has it been doing it since day 1 or did it come on suddenly?

How are you going to the amp?

--Are you using something like a PAC to go down to base voltage or did you splice a harness to go out to the preouts?

Before doing anything, disassemble the dash to take the unit out, but don't undo the wiring; see if the whine changes. For certain types of problems (power wires and preamps), moving the unit will remove a whine just because the preamp wires are situated farther from the power wires. That may not be it, but stranger things have happened.

Also, you may want put a grounding wire on one of the bolts on the factory amp (use a star washer to bite in better, clean the paint etc) and run it back to the head unit, then either ground the preamps or the whole head unit to see if it's better/worse.

One of the things that sort of sucks is that they tell you not to use a common ground (for draw reasons) but if you have a good solid ground, then a common grounding point is actually much more likely to give you clean sound.

• 2 weeks later...

***I notice the sound a week later don't know if because I wasn't paying that much attantion to it.

***This is how I got it connected bought pac c2r vw adapter to connect the Pioneer to the OEM socket without having to slice OEM wires.

Metra 40 EU55 Antenna adapter which doesn't make any difference the sounds comes on whithout being connected

Well haven't found out what is cousing it yet but this is what I got so far. Took the unit out try to play with the cables cut them put them back on. When I turn the radio off after a few seconds I can still heard the noise. Thats when the amp shuts down no noise after that. The factory amp that this car has is a moonson amp and pretty much got evrything connected with regular cables I was trying to see if I could find the ground cable but all the cables got different colors. Evrything is hook with harness and wierd color cables. This amp suppost to turn on and off once it detect sound from the head unit. I will be tacking out the door panels and disconnecting the tweeter to see if is the tweeter that is damage, is wierd that only the left front tweeter is the one macking the noise. Still works well when turning the music up.

I'm thinking of just replacing all the speakers and get a new amp to see what happens.

Thats all I got for now will be doing some troubleshooting with moonson amps to see if I find anything.

Thanks for the response, sorry I took so long to update.

Honestly it sounds like the stock amp went up, which (opinion) isn't necessarily a bad thing.

If you get a new amp/speakers, it will undoubtedly sound better, though, it's costing you money that it wouldn't if it hadn't gone up . . .

• 1 month later...

Well got the problem fix it seems like it was the factory amp. I spend a lot of money to get it fix but I believe is was woth it. Update the amp to a JL Audio hd 900/5 also update speakers I got 2 pair for the front and rear doors of the alpines spx 17pro. A total of 1700.00 Waiting for a nice sub to complete the system. Sound right now is amazing even though I don't have a sub installed yet.