AVIC411.com

Is the grass greener beyond the z(1-3) series???

Haven't been on the forum for a while and am now in need of some advice. I put a Z1 in my 06 Tundra 4 years ago, and this past year upgraded my unit to the Z3 with one of Garret2mey's drives. I just bought an 06 F250 PSD and want to install an aftermarket Nav system - my first choice would be to find an Avic and put in one of Garret's 60 meg drives with the Z3 software. Before I move forward I was hoping to get some advice from the Avic aficienados on the board...

Should I stick with my plan above, or install a Z110BT? I'm not familiar with the difference between the Z# series and the Z110BT. is there something better than either of these choices? I've configured the bypass, don't know if there is a bypass for the Z110BT. I really like the fact that my Avic Z3 can rip my music to the HD, as well as display my rear view camera automagically when I pop the tranny into R. The DVD does get used - mostly for concert DVDs, but sometimes for the family on long trips. I also have the bluetooth adapter for my mobile phone. Can the Z110BT support all of this functionality?

Thanks in advance.

The 110 has no internal hard drive so it can not rip tunes to the internal storage. System speed, Ipod control, and built in BT is where this unit shines over the previous Z. All other accessories you have will work with the 110. There is also no remote control sensor built into the 110 but there is an add on option. There is of course a bypass. There is a ton of info on this forum about the unit so be sure check that section of this forum for more details.

The only thing to consider is the cost.

A Z1/2/3 in good shape with all the options (satellite radio/bluethooth/etc) and an upgraded HD is well worth considering if the price is right. I have a Z2/3 and I have played with a couple of Z110BT's and yes the Z110BT's have some nice stuff and are a bit faster.....but they are more costly. They actually have a few less options in some areas too..ie vehicle diagnostics, changing map views onscreen to name a couple. In my specific case (Canada) it was about $700 more for the Z110BT c/w Sat Radio and iPod cable. Soooo....it depends.

The only other piece of the pie that is missing right now is the reliability of the HD in the Z1/2/3 vs no HD in the Z110BT, the low cost flexibility with being able to swap out the HD in the Z1/2/3 vs the Z110BT(none) and what future firmware upgrades will really provide with the Z110BT.

VBLUE42 is 100% correct when he says the Z110BT "shines" vs the Z1/2/3...but there is a cost.

I kind of relate it to how PC's work...you buy one and within weeks it may be less shiny than the latest one that comes out....but it will still work and do what it is supposed to..maybe just a little less flashy.

If money is no object I would upgrade to a Z110BT....Right now I cannot justify the $700 and I have lots of better places to spend it....like an amp, speaker upgrades, sub, etc etc.