AVIC411.com

new "flashing" procedure

[quote name="Anonymous"]Hmm, well I will be installing your flasher tomorrow (I need the TR7's for another project) and I'll report on the results. I almost always remote start my vehicle and as you probably no directed's remote start systems turn accessory on for about 2 seconds and then crank. It will be interesting to see how the timing plays out. On a side note I didn't have an issue with the TR7 and remote start so I doubt your circuit will have any trouble either.[/quote]

This was me btw, forgot to log in.

Personally, I think you should design your programmer to flash multiple times instead of once to cover all scenarios. I doubt anyone will be annoyed by it and it will limit your headache. Depending on how difficult it would be on you, you might want to offer two flavors, "remote start" and "regular."
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ducattiboy, you seem to know the most about this hack, so ill trust you on this one. My Z1 will be installed tomorrow, but I want to make sure I get them to install it right. I've read all 24 pages in this thread, and many other threads, and some say grounding the parking brake is the way to go, and others say leave it open, and yet others say connect it to the actual parking break as the manual says. According to what I've read, I think the best way to make this hack work is to do the following:

* Connect parking break and Ill wire the correct way (per manual)
* Turn your lights ON, and take your parking break OFF
* Turn on the car
* Wait until the Pioneer loading screen comes up (between 5 and 7 seconds)
* Then turn the lights OFF

I have an audi a4, so i dont have auto lights and can manually turn the lights on before i start the car. SO, do you think these steps will work? I would like to connect the pb wire the correct way to avoid the "parking break is not connected properly" notification.

THANKS! This unit is sweet, and i cant wait to use it...
[quote name="AudiA4"]Ducattiboy, you seem to know the most about this hack, so ill trust you on this one. My Z1 will be installed tomorrow, but I want to make sure I get them to install it right. I've read all 24 pages in this thread, and many other threads, and some say grounding the parking brake is the way to go, and others say leave it open, and yet others say connect it to the actual parking break as the manual says. According to what I've read, I think the best way to make this hack work is to do the following:

* Turn your lights ON, and take your parking break OFF
* Turn on the car

I have an audi a4, so i dont have auto lights and can manually turn the lights on before i start the car. SO, do you think these steps will work? I would like to connect the pb wire the correct way to avoid the "parking break is not connected properly" notification.

THANKS! This unit is sweet, and i cant wait to use it...[/quote]

Yes, that procedure will work. You can also do:

* Leave your lights OFF, and take your parking break OFF
* Turn on the car
* Then turn the lights ON
* Wait another 5 second

It doesn't matter which way you go, but you need to make a change in the lights (on to off or off to on) between 5-7 seconds.

Yah, You can connect the parking brake like it says in the manual only if you never use your parking brake. If you use the parking brake, the flashing won't work on a new install. OR just know that if the parking brake is connected and you use it, you will deactivate whatever you do by flashing your lights.

Read #4 & #5
[url=http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=285]http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=285[/url]

As long as the parking brake is not grounded when you move, you are fine.
I think it's safe to say that with a flasher mod installed, either tr7 or ducatiboy's flasher (recommended) you should leave your parking brake disconnected.

Bottom line: parking line disconnected with flasher installed = unlocked unit 100% of the time and full use of parking brake. Any other scenario means you could lock your unit durring specific conditions.
Sounds like I'll have them leave the parking break disonnected since i use my parking break all the time. Ill let you guys know if it works (i have a good feeling about it). Its unbelievable the guy with the remote starter figured out that was the trick to all this. Thanks for all the input, and Ill re-post with results and possibly pictures.
This might be a simple question, but would Canadian vehicles with full time running lights affect this entire flashing process?? In my vehicle, when I turn the car on there are no headlights on, but as soon as I shift into any gear they come on and stay on always....does this do anything to the mod or flashing technique? (I own one of db's circuits, but have not installed it yet)...let me know. Does this change any of the wiring issues??
[quote name="crussell1492"]Hi, I have an 05 Avalanche with the Z1 installed to whatever specs California requires. I can not get this procedure to work. I have read through all the posts and have tried all of the suggestions precisely. Any ideas? thanks[/quote]

I'm not sure what "California Requires". But turn on the key and go to the settings - hardware - connections page. Look at the Illumination entry. When you turn your lights on and off does that line go from "OFF" to "ON"? If not, does it do it at night time (you might have a light sensor which knows the lights are on during the day and doesn't turn that on)? Make sure when you turn your lights on and off, that entry changes. If it doesn't this procedure won't work (your Z1 is not installed correctly). Once you see what makes that entry change, turn the car on (with the lights off) and when you see "starting pioneer navigation" turn the lights on, leave them on for 5 seconds or so. But first you have to make sure the nav sees the illumination line go "on" or else this will never work.
[quote name="klm42"]Ducatiboy,

Just to clarify, will the "flashing" technique work if the orange/white lead is tied into the parking light wire instead of the illumination wire? Thanks in advance for your help.[/quote]

If that wire is normally ground and when you turn the parking lights (or headlights) on it goes to 12V, then yes, it will work.
[quote name="ducatiboy"] [quote name="klm42"]Ducatiboy,

Just to clarify, will the "flashing" technique work if the orange/white lead is tied into the parking light wire instead of the illumination wire? Thanks in advance for your help.[/quote]

If that wire is normally ground and when you turn the parking lights (or headlights) on it goes to 12V, then yes, it will work.[/quote]

Thanks for the quick response. Since I'm new to all of this, is there anything specific I should tell my installer to look for or should I just have him tie the orange/white lead into the parking light wire no matter what since I'm pretty sure the car doesn't have an illumination wire? Also, how can I tell if it goes to 12v? Thanks again for all of your help as I just want to make sure the process is done correctly. 8)
[quote name="klm42"]Thanks for the quick response. Since I'm new to all of this, is there anything specific I should tell my installer to look for[/quote]

Just don't let them talk you into grounding the parking brake wire all the time. They can connect the parking brake wire correctly, but if you use your emergency brake, then it will ruin the headlight flashing (while the parking brake is on). So either have them connect the parking brake and don't use it or leave it disconnected (but if you leave it disconnected, if you don't flash your lights then you won't have a bunch of functions which are normally reserved for when your parking brake wire is grounded (parking brake is on).

Also some installers think they shouldn't connect the VSS wire for this bypass to work, that's nonsense. If he can hook into it, great, if not, then it cause he can't find it, not cause he wants your flashing trick to work. It can be connected correctly and this will still work.

[quote name="klm42"] should I just have him tie the orange/white lead into the parking light wire no matter what since I'm pretty sure the car doesn't have an illumination wire? [/quote]

Are you sure? Is your installer sure? A lot of times there is something on the radio wiring harness. As long as the parking light wire you speak of goes to 12V when the lights are on and ground when the lights are off. Some car's wiring might need a relay or something, but any installer, knowing you need 12V with the lights on and ground (or floating) when it's off should be able to figure out something. And when I say ground or floating when the lights are off, it can be just disconnected from 12V when the lights are off, you don't actively have to ground the wire, I believe that there is an internal pull down in the Z1.

[quote name="klm42"]Also, how can I tell if it goes to 12v? Thanks again for all of your help as I just want to make sure the process is done correctly. 8)[/quote]

You would need a volt meter and/or the wiring diagram of the vehicle. Or knowledge of the car's workings. How can you tell if it's hooked up correctly? There is a "diagnostic" screen which lists the Illumination wire status. It will change when you turn the lights on and off. It will also get dimmer, but that's hard to see in bright daylights.
[quote name="ducatiboy"]
You would need a volt meter and/or the wiring diagram of the vehicle. Or knowledge of the car's workings. How can you tell if it's hooked up correctly? There is a "diagnostic" screen which lists the Illumination wire status. It will change when you turn the lights on and off. It will also get dimmer, but that's hard to see in bright daylights.[/quote]

The navigation screen background also goes from white to black when the dimmer is active.
  • 3 weeks later...
Ok, I am too a newbie. I've been reading your posts and need some clarification.

I have the Z1 with the following:

-06 Ford Explorer limited ( every bell and whistle less nav- hence the Z1 :) )
-Parking brake on per Z1 connection status screen ( I get the boot up improper connection of the parking brake)

-Illumination is off ( never comes on)

How would I bypass this with this set up to allow all functions to work? I am assuming based on what I have been reading that the headlight flashing will not work....