AVIC411.com

Bypass not working

I recently purchased a Z1 (sirius, bluetooth, ipod) and had it installed in my 2006 Nissan Pathfinder LE by a local shop. The initial try at the bypass with the flashing method did not work since the unit was manufactured in October 2006. I gave the shop the instructions from ducati's post on grounding the parking brake wire and the pin wire to bypass the after July units.

Well, I go to pick the car up this afternoon and now none of the "moving" features (nav, dvd) are working at any time even when the car is in park.

Anyone have any ideas what is going on? :?

Go to the connection status screen:

MENU - SETTINGS - HARDWARE - CONNECTION STATUS

Look at the parking brake line. It should say ON all the time. If it's OFF or it changes with the parking brake (if you engage it or disengage it), then they didn't do the bypass. Which is what I'm assuming happened. It's either going to say OFF all the time which means they forgot to hook it up... or it changes with the parking brake which means they hooked it up to the parking brake. For the bypass they need to hook it right to ground.

I checked it out. It is actually off all the time whether the parking brake is engaged or not.

They say they grounded the two wires turned it back on and it was like that. I'm just hoping they didn't somehow damage the unit. Does this sound like more of a wiring issue? Could the fix be as easy as taking the z1 out and properly grounding the two wires?

The owner said something about a gyro inside the unit preventing it from being unlocked???

I checked it out. It is actually off all the time whether the parking brake is engaged or not.

They missed at least the parking brake wire (I don't know about the one on connector 2). They need to ground that wire and they did not.

By what you told me we know he didn't ground the parking brake wire. If they hook that up and you drive around and within 50-100 miles the "hey you hooked up your parking brake wrong" warning message pops up then they missed grounding the wire in connector 2.

Could the fix be as easy as taking the z1 out and properly grounding the two wires?

The owner said something about a gyro inside the unit preventing it from being unlocked???

Yes, that's how easy it is. They missed a wire or both wires. You ground the parking brake wire to enable all the features and the second wire in connector 2 will tell the Z1 to not worry about the internal gyro.

If both of the wires are grounded as I say on my site, it will enable all features of the Z1 all the time. It really works. Anyone who says otherwise either doesn't know what they are talking about or are lying to you on purpose.

Man, that sucks. It sounds pretty easy. Not sure how they screwed that up??

Thanks for the help. I'm just going to pop it out myself tomorrow and give it a shot.

I also have the airbag light blinking in the Pathfinder. They told me that the computer would have to be reset by Nissan. When I remove the Z1 and ground the wires, how can I avoid this happening again? Nissan is going to charge me $40 to reset the thing.

I don't know what would have set that off. If they pulled the negative terminal of the battery, that might be all it is. It's a good practice, but I usually don't do it. If pulling the negative terminal of the battery would do that for your car, it might be it. Or they might have disconnected something else or screwed something else up and are not telling you. I don't know the specifics of your vehicle enough to say one way or the other.

Man, that sucks. It sounds pretty easy. Not sure how they screwed that up??

Thanks for the help. I'm just going to pop it out myself tomorrow and give it a shot.

I also have the airbag light blinking in the Pathfinder. They told me that the computer would have to be reset by Nissan. When I remove the Z1 and ground the wires, how can I avoid this happening again? Nissan is going to charge me $40 to reset the thing.

DONT go to the dealer. That can be reset very easily. I've got the instructions at work. I posted them up tomorrow night.

cntrylvr79, if you could do that it would be great.

A followup to my issue... so I decided to crack it open after I got home from work. I have no experience installing car stereos what so ever, but I am fairly familiar with other electronics (networks, tv's etc.). I was a little nervous about taking out the console of my 2 week old car, but I did it anyway.

It actually turned out to be pretty easy getting the Z1 out. When I removed it I traced the parking brake wire and I found it just flapping around not connected to anything. Weird. So I looked for the cell phone mute wire to use as the pin ground. Can't find it. So I checked connector 2 and it is already in the secret pin. The installer had run it out of the pin, connected to a higher gauge wire and put connector on the end to ground it. I found the connector on the ground screw with the wire clipped.

I grounded the 2 wires pretty easily, screwed it back and up and voila. Works like a charm.

Is this the weirdest thing you've ever seen? I gave him the instructions. It was easy job that I did in 10 minutes. He had the car for over 4 hours. What the hell did he do?

Anyway, thanks ducati for the help.

Damn wrong post I posted the reset instruction in another post. Hold on let me find it.

EDIT

Found it.

) Open the driver's side door.

2) Put the key in the ignition and turn to ON (but don't start the vehicle)

3) Within 7 seconds of turning the key to ON, push the driver's side door switch button at least 5 times.

4) The Air Bag light should go solid...give it at least 7 seconds, and it should begin to blink a 3 second, 2 second on/off pattern.

5) Turn ignition to OFF and remove key.

6) Start vehicle, and wait for the Air Bag light to turn off to verify that it worked.

Thanks.

I tried your method. The light started out solid when the key was turned to on and i pushed the door switch a bunch of times. After a few seconds the light goes from solid to the steady slow blink, the same that is always present.

I tried pushing the button fast, slow, holding it etc. Any other ideas?

Here's the other way to try.

1)turn ignition switch from off to on

2)within 1 second after the aribag light starts to flash---immeditely turn the ignition off

3)after ignition is off, wait for more than 5 seconds

4)then repeat steps 1 through 3---do all steps 3 times

5)turn the ignition on, and the airbag sensor should go off and not flash anymore

You are the man! :D

I tried method 2, but it didn't stop flashing. Just went to a slower flash. After that I tried method 1 again and it stopped flashing.

Thanks for the help. You just saved me at least $40 and the trouble of taking it to the dealership.

:D