AVIC411.com

Where should the gps receiver go

yeah I think they even supply you a little metal rectangle piece of metal so you can put it under the antenna. I used to have a CarPC and had a USB GPS antenna/receiver on my center dash and I would get good reception, around 8-10 GPS satellites locked.

I installed mine on a metal plate under the dash in two cars and have not had any problems. I picked up a 4" junction box cover at a hardware store and used high quality 3M Body Molding Tape to secure it under the dash.

I'd rather hide the antenna than give some goof ball a clue that there's something in my car that can be stolen and sold for drug money......

I have mine on my dash, in the corner. It actually worked inside my dash sitting right on top of the radio too, but space was tight and I didn't want to put it there and find out later driving around that I had reception problems. On my dash there are no problems.

I agree that putting this antenna outside the car/truck is not a great idea; it doesn't look rugged enough for the elements to me. I have a x920BT so perhaps the older antennas are different but the one I have clearly seems meant for the inside of the car.

As for someone stealing it if they see it, believe me your average meth junkie doesn't need to see an antenna to think your ride is worth breaking in to, they see that screen in your dash they are gonna go for it antenna or not. Hell they will break in and jack your stuff even if you have an OEM system, we're not talking about logical people here. Get a decent alarm to warn the amateurs off and try not to park in sketchy areas is all you can hope for.

As for someone stealing it if they see it, believe me your average meth junkie doesn't need to see an antenna to think your ride is worth breaking in to, they see that screen in your dash they are gonna go for it antenna or not. Hell they will break in and jack your stuff even if you have an OEM system, we're not talking about logical people here. Get a decent alarm to warn the amateurs off and try not to park in sketchy areas is all you can hope for.

Sorry but I strongly disagree with you. I have heavily tinted side and rear windows, for someone to see the screen in the dash they would have to bend down and squint pretty hard.

Just a quick glance will reveal the antenna on the front dash through the clear windshield.

Yes I also have an alarm, but with all the people out there that set their own off it's not likely to scare anyone but the newbie thief. When was the last time you paid attention to a car alarm going off in a parking lot?

Best regards,