AVIC411.com

Review of the AVH 5200BT vs AVIC Z110BT

Ok so first off I had the AVIC Z110BT and sold it to go with a flip out model cause I wanted to add a Pioneer DSP EQ to my system (cause the AVIC and all Pioneer models don't have a good respectable 15 band) and I only had a double dinn opening. So that is the reason why getting rid of the AVIC...well that and some other reasons.

First off...I actually like the interface on my AVH5200BT MORE then the AVIC!!! Believe it or not. Things just more logically made sense in the way that it worked. I love my choice and only have a few cons to it.

Pros: interface more easy to use, buttons are larger then the avic and easier to press and work. The screen and functions are all very very quick just like the AVIC but more logically and you don't have to hunt for certain things. I also love the NO boot up time the AVH has over the AVIC. The display is cool and very well laid out. I like the clock/date in the upper corner.

Cons: I only have really 2 cons for this unit and would like to see the interface be able to have "upgrade features compatibility".

Con 1: the display....the display on the AVH 5200BT is way too low for the technology of today. It should be equal to if not better then the AVIC which it is not. The display is 480x240....not great by any means.

Con 2: USB input on the front BUT no USB on the back? This unit really needs to have a USB port on the back on the unit. The front one is a great idea but it definitely needs one on the back as well to hide cords. The front input should only be for a quick portable device hookup. If you run an ipod full time there really should be a port on the back for this.

Con 3/up-gradability: the AVH line should be able to have some way to update the user interface and it would be nice to see it support apps for expandability. Case in point, the unit can add on navigation with the U220 but can't do avic feeds and to the best my knowledge you can't add MusicSphere. I would really like to see it be able to do this. So if MusicSphere could be saved in a format for the AVH line that would be great! This plus other apps such as a 15 band "upgraded Digital EQ" over the basic 8 band the unit comes with would be a great idea. All we are talking about is software...should be a piece of cake when you think about it.

Summary: most cell phones now are coming with better options and expandability over car stereos. I think the car audio guys need to technologically bump up their head units to be able to do the same. The AVIC Z120 seems to be the first one really showing some promise but being Pioneers new flagship model, it even is behind the times when you compare it to the way new phones get their information. In a word..."Car-Apps!!!"Why not apps (small applications) for Car Stereo head units, so that the user can customize his setup to the way HE/SHE wants it is what Iam saying! The possibilities are pretty endless....Custom Equalizers, Custom Artwork, Downloadable Music Apps, MusicSphere, Weather Apps, Traffic Apps, Nascar Apps, etc etc...basically similar to the way you get them on your phone.

I get what you are saying as far as tech. The AVHP3200DVD I recently purchased was my first aftermarket stereo, and in some ways I am quite impressed with it, but it also falls short in surprising ways.

With the ability to read USB drives, SD cards, and DVDs, I just expected it to perform more like a computer, I think. But the file management leaves a lot to be desired. There is no way to sort files on these media, for example. The ability to run apps seems far off compared to this basic function. Clearly, the tech is still going towards audio and not so much the interface, but I'm not so sure that's a bad thing when we're talking about car stereos.

I get what you are saying as far as tech. The AVHP3200DVD I recently purchased was my first aftermarket stereo, and in some ways I am quite impressed with it, but it also falls short in surprising ways.

With the ability to read USB drives, SD cards, and DVDs, I just expected it to perform more like a computer, I think. But the file management leaves a lot to be desired. There is no way to sort files on these media, for example. The ability to run apps seems far off compared to this basic function. Clearly, the tech is still going towards audio and not so much the interface, but I'm not so sure that's a bad thing when we're talking about car stereos.

Well being how I bet know body thought that phones would develop into what they can do now. Why not have car audio head units have the capability to expand to allow the user to customize it in any way they feel. I agree with you on some of the tech going towards the audio section but like you said...even that seems to be lacking when you think of how the Ipad and Iphone work. You can buy apps to download music, alter the music, send the music, etc. There is so much room for improvemement